CarGurus is hiring a Writer/Editor to join its editorial team in Cambridge, MA. We’re seeking a car fan who knows and appreciates plenty about motor vehicles and what goes on under the hood but who can comfortably speak with and effectively address non-enthusiasts, too. This new writer will focus on “evergreen” articles and posts aimed at educating mainstream car shoppers about how to avoid problems and find great deals in the process of shopping for a car. Subsequent tasks will include expanding our evergreen content area, making regular contributions to the CarGurus blog, possibly working on car previews and reviews, and working with our PR and Consumer Marketing teams on content that will be promoted to the press as well as recruiting new freelancers and editing the work of other contributors.
What You’ll Do:
- Write, edit, refine, expand, and proofread “evergreen” content as well as blog posts and other articles aimed at mainstream consumers around cars, car shopping, car care, and dealing with cars intelligently.
- Produce, edit, and proofread content from other CarGurus writers, in-house and freelance.
- Pitch and shape content ideas in weekly editorial meetings with staff.
- Promote original content on social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, etc.
- Help publish original and wire content to the website and/or in external company communications.
- Generate, schedule, and moderate social media content to support evergreen content.
- Coordinate with colleagues to ensure consistent focus, direction, and optimization of content.
- Other duties, as reasonably requested.
Who You are:
- 2+ years of experience working for a website, newspaper, or other news organization (candidates with a similar level of publication relations, marketing, or similar professional experience may also apply).
- Demonstrated knowledge of AP style and journalism fundamentals, including strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills, as well as knowledge of social media channels and marketing.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment on deadline.
- Experience in writing for the web, social media, content management, and Internet research.
- Experience with HTML, CSS, blogs, social media (Hubspot), and working with content management systems (CMS).
- Experience using web analytics tools.
- Knowledge about best practices in writing for the web, social media trends, web usability, web design, and business/industry trends.
- This role will require occasional travel to auto-related press events and car shows.