Category Manager, Insurance
At Hopper, we’re on a mission to make booking travel faster, easier, and more transparent. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing travel app -- one that enables our customers to save money and travel more. With over $235M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its path toward becoming the go-to way to book travel as the world continues its shift to mobile.
Recognized as the fastest-growing travel app by Forbes and one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company two years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 35 million times and has helped travelers plan over 100 million trips and counting. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016 and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
Take off with us!
As the Category Manager for insurance products, you will own a line of business that is critical to Hopper’s success. In 2019, Hopper will sell over $1B in travel for the first time, and we have our eyes set on selling over $10B in the not-too-distant future.
Underneath the large, industry-redefining travel business we’re building we have several product categories that require business leadership to own, grow, and rigorously refine. Insurance is the first, and it is one of the largest sources of revenue for travel businesses.
You will work on the business strategy team, working closely and collaboratively with product managers and data scientists, as well as external partners, to grow the largest and most innovative insurance business in all of travel.
A PERFECT CANDIDATE HAS:
- Owned a P&L and shown a track record for significantly growing a line of business
- Launched new products and used customer and market analysis, as well as stakeholder input, to drive business growth
- Sourced, vetted, and signed partnerships that help drive business and end-user value
- Built a strong track record with colleagues by being proactive and persuading them through compelling narrative both in-person and in writing
- Worked in - and helped to further perpetuate - a rigorously data-driven environment where decisions are always informed by quantifiable evidence and strong hypotheses
- No ego. Strong focus on doing what is right for the customer and the company
- Experience with consumer software products (preferred but not required)
- Experience with or knowledge of insurance products (preferred but not required)
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Be the go-to expert on every type of travel insurance that we and our competitors offer, as well as what’s available in the market, and what our users actually want
- Own the insurance P&L, and be fluent in the levers that drive the business
- Build a roadmap consisting of launching new products and new experiments for existing products, and persuade the product team to prioritize new work based on its ability to drive revenue, profit, and user value
- Drive and refine the pricing, positioning, and placement of all insurance products, and determine how they are merchandised, independently and together, throughout the user journey
- Build relationships with external partners to understand how we can maximize their value, and create new relationships and partnerships to complement existing ones
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options.
- Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business.
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans.
- Access to a 401k (Boston) or Retirement Savings Plan (Montreal).
- Easy commute with a paid-for public transportation or parking pass.
- IATA Travel Agent Card for discounts in the travel industry.
- Fully stocked kitchen with: coffee/tea, beer, bagels and snacks (both healthy and not-healthy).
- Team lunches, off-site activities and much more!
- In Cambridge, work in a historic factory building near Kendall Square; in Montreal, work in an artist’s loft in the Mile End.