Business Intelligence Engineering Manager
Meet CarGurus—the #1 visited online car shopping website in the US. At CarGurus, we’re building the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace where it’s easy to find great deals from top-rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation and vehicle history.
CarGurus is looking to hire a highly motivated Business Intelligence Engineering Manager to help grow our Analytics program. This position will play a key role in defining and implementing our business intelligence strategy, while leading a team of top performing BI engineers. As a shared service, this role will partner with leaders and key stakeholders to foster an environment of insight-driven decision making. We are looking for a candidate who possesses strong people leadership skills, but isn’t afraid to dive into the weeds from time to time.
What You’ll Do:
- Further our strategy of data democratization across CarGurus, with a heavy focus on enabling our stakeholders to be self-service.
- Lead a team of trusted quantitative advisors to Product, Marketing, Finance and other areas of the business to define and provide data critical to strategy.
- Prioritize bandwidth across the team to maintain focus on highest leverage projects, while taking team member skill set and career development interests into account.
- Standardize KPI and operational metric management and reporting across CarGurus’ business units.
- Build a cross-functional data governance strategy that promotes high quality data, and embodies the CG core values of collaboration and moving quickly.
- Define best practices for reporting, data visualization, and data modeling.
- Proactively identify areas of the business where the team can add value.
- Hire, develop, and coach a high performing team, and provide mentorship to analysts across the organization.
- Roll up your sleeves! Write complex SQL, create automated data transformations, and build effective data visualizations using Looker.
Who You Are:
- 5+ years experience as a data analyst, data engineer, or related field.
- 3+ years people management experience.
- Team player who thrives in a collaborative environment, with a deep focus on customer service.
- Expert in SQL, with ability to optimize database and query performance.
- Intermediate or higher knowledge of Python for data analysis.
- A natural detective, with a keen interest in solving business problems with data driven methods.
- Flexible and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment at a rapidly growing organization.
- Background in data modeling & dashboard building in Looker, Tableau, or related BI tech.
- Familiarity with OLAP databases such as Redshift, Snowflake, Vertica, or others.
- Experience with Salesforce.
At the core of our company culture is a spirit of innovation, curiosity and collaboration. True to our start-up roots, we’re nimble, flexible and hardworking. We have a great respect for testing and learning and a healthy aversion to scheduling meetings to discuss meetings. Lunch is catered daily. Gym membership is free. Foosball and ping pong are played often. Now a publicly-traded company, we’re as committed as ever to cultivating the culture that got us here.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, the UK and Germany with other markets on the horizon. Our offices are located in Cambridge, MA, Detroit, MI and Dublin, Ireland. If you’d like to learn more, please visit our careers page.