Data Applications Engineer
Meet CarGurus—the #1 visited online car shopping website in the US. At CarGurus, we’re building the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace where it’s easy to find great deals from top-rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation and vehicle history.
Are you someone who loves to solve problems by bringing data to the table? Are you passionate about writing SQL? Do you like taking creative approaches to problem solving in a collaborative environment? We need your help!
CarGurus is looking to hire a highly motivated Data Applications Engineer to help shape our growing data infrastructure. You will work closely and build relationships with analysts and leadership in all areas of the organization. Become an expert in building data transformations and visualizations and turn data into insight. At CarGurus, we are data-driven. Help us realize this goal by democratizing our data.
What You’ll Do
- Support our efforts to develop and implement a single source of truth for our metrics.
- Work with stakeholders across all levels of the organization to translate business analysis requirements into logical data models and visualizations using our analytics platform.
- Provide excellent customer service as an internal consultant.
- Administer and support analytics tools.
Who You Are:
- 1-3 years experience in data modeling, data engineering, business intelligence, or other quantitative field.
- Team player who thrives in a collaborative environment with strong interpersonal skills.
- Creative thinker, with an interest in solving business problems with data.
- Knack for telling a compelling story with data visualizations.
- Experience in SQL with ability to design and validate complex queries.
- Familiar with Looker, Tableau, or other business intelligence and data visualization tools.
- Familiarity with Redshift, Snowflake, BigQuery, or other large-scale databases a plus.
- Software engineering skills in Python a plus, but not required.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics a plus, but not required.
At the core of our company culture is a spirit of innovation, curiosity and collaboration. True to our start-up roots, we’re nimble, flexible and hardworking. We have a great respect for testing and learning and a healthy aversion to scheduling meetings to discuss meetings. Lunch is catered daily. Gym membership is free. Foosball and ping pong are played often. Now a publicly-traded company, we’re as committed as ever to cultivating the culture that got us here.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, the UK and Germany with other markets on the horizon. Our offices are located in Cambridge, MA, Detroit, MI and Dublin, Ireland. If you’d like to learn more, please visit our careers page.