Want to get to know the hiring manager? Watch a quick interview here.
We’re looking for an exceptional senior-level data scientist to develop data products and drive better decision making across the edX organization and for our partners.
This is an unusual ground floor opportunity to drive tremendous business value as we build a world-class data science team, establish edX as a thought leader in the emerging field of learning science, and most importantly have a major impact on our mission of providing high quality education to everyone, everywhere.
- Identify, implement, and drive adoption of analytics-based solutions to business problems.
- Perform quantitative research on large data sets.
- Mentor other data scientists, engineers, and analysts, and provide scientific support across all departments and for end customers.
- Guide and potentially participate in the software implementation of data products.
- Innovate new ways data science can be used to support the organization and its mission.
- At least 5 years of data science research experience, ideally with at least 3 years in industry and/or a PhD in a quantitative discipline.
- Bonus: Experience with learning science or clickstream data.
- Extensive hands-on experience working with large, real world data.
- Demonstrably strong business orientation.
- Strong programming and algorithm development skills as applied to working with large data sets (e.g. in Python, R, SQL, Spark).
- A propensity toward action, and the mentality to get initial results quickly and iterate.
- Connoisseurship of good science: attention to experimental design, causality, bias, significance, etc.
- Heaploads of scrappiness, big picture thinking, and interest in solving fuzzy business problems.
- Strong attention to detail and motivation to minimize error.
- Excellent communication skills and a team player attitude.
- The desire to have fun while doing all of the above.
Applicants must be able to work from our Cambridge, MA office. Sorry, Visa sponsorship is not available.