About us: Founded in 2007, Cantina is a strategic design and technology agency dedicated to helping our clients identify and realize opportunities for innovation and growth. Our 80+ person strong team is a mix of experience strategists, digital, product, & service designers, and software engineers & developers.
About the role: We’re looking for an experience strategist to join our experience strategy and service design practice. Our human-centered approach focuses on finding the intersection of the desirable, viable, and feasible. We work closely with clients to pursue a research-backed design process that delivers products, services, and experiences people want, need, and desire and that benefits both the client organization and the people it serves.
About you: You’re smart, passionate, and collaborative. You are curious about people, their behaviors and motivations. You strive in co-creative environments and view communication as a central tool for good design. While you have strong opinions, you know how to negotiate effectively and seek consensus. You are as computer-savvy as you are people-friendly. Collecting data and deriving meaningful, actionable insights from that data is your passion.
- Help plan and lead qualitative & quantitative research efforts to better understand people and their environments, including ethnographic interviews, contextual observations, and other design research techniques
- Perform primary and secondary research to understand organizations and their competitive context
- Analyze and synthesize research into actionable insights, opportunities, and recommendations. Contribute to product and service conceptual discussions with team members and clients to find consensus on areas of opportunity.
- Create research-backed current- and future-state customer journey maps based on personas or archetypes. Create service blueprints.
- Help structure and facilitate workshops to define goals, concepts, and service prototypes
- Help structure and facilitate participatory design workshops and/or generative design research workshops to bring users into the design process
- Develop product and services strategies and roadmaps
- Effectively communicate research findings, workshop outputs, and design rationale both verbally and visually
- Support pre-sales engagements and marketing events from a user research perspective to educate prospects on Cantina’s design practice
- Support business development pitches and proposals that showcase the value of user research to potential clients
- You have a bachelor’s degree in interaction design, service design, anthropology, a related field, or demonstrated experience that makes the degree irrelevant
- You have 3-5 years professional experience in UX research or experience strategy at an agency, consulting firm, in-house team, and/or boutique strategy firm
- You have direct experience planning and facilitating a variety of research methods including; one-on-one interviews, observations, contextual ethnography, diary studies, usability testing, culture probes, co-design session, and workshops.
- You excel at being a storyteller—delivering insights about people and behavior, verbally, in writing, and visually—in a way that generates empathy, emotion, and engagement from the client and design team
- You have experience analyzing qualitative data sets, deriving insights and creating research deliverables such as reports, personas, and customer journeys
- You’re passionate and enthusiastic about excellence and attention to detail
- You have strong influencing, negotiation, and communication skills (written, verbal, presentation)
- You constantly look for ways to improve your process and will do the same with ours
- You’re comfortable working independently, with some guidance, and are comfortable with ambiguity
- You’ve demonstrated a willingness to have a voice in the design community; you speak at events and/or cultivate an opinion publicly
- Competitive base salary commensurate with experience
- Bonus (based on individual and company performance)
Benefits and perks
- 100% employer-paid insurance premiums for health, dental, vision and disability
- Optional company-paid mobile phone plan
- Company-paid bike share program
- Flexible work arrangements (such as work from home days) available upon request
- Paid parental leave for up to six (6) weeks
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match
- Vacation time accrued to twenty (20) days per year
- Convenient downtown Boston location
- Snacks, refreshments, coffee, tea and more in the office