Under the general direction of the Research and Development Center’s Aero-Performance and Conceptual Design Group, the candidate will serve as a mid-level member of a team dedicated to developing novel air-vehicle systems and executing advanced research in aerodynamics. The candidate will be expected to provide design concepts for and conduct preliminary and/or detailed analyses of aero-propulsion systems. The primary product line for design activities will be next generation air-vehicles applicable for both commercial and military use.
Develop aircraft aerodynamic design requirements and aerodynamic planning for projects; design aircraft lofts using high- and low-fidelity modeling tools; wind tunnel test planning which includes defining instrumentation requirements, facility selection, and model requirements; test data reduction; Perform preliminary and detailed aerodynamic analysis on air-vehicles to support the creation of an aerodynamic database and estimating aircraft performance.
A successful candidate will be able to work as part of a highly integrated aerodynamics team that is able to develop new and novel design concepts while thinking outside of the box of traditional air-vehicle design philosophies and methodologies. The candidate must be able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment on multiple, interdisciplinary projects.
- BS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering from an accredited university.
- Minimum of four (4) years’ experience in the modeling and analysis of advanced air-vehicle systems using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Experience in the design and analysis of transonic and/or supersonic air-vehicle at various levels of engineering fidelity
- Experience with the latest industry-standard aerodynamic design and analysis tools such as STAR-CCM+, FLUENT and CFD++
- Strong English written and verbal communication skills.Comfortable presenting their work in front of senior management or customers
- Travel to support customer presentations or to program meetings will be required.
- Demonstrated ability to use MATLAB, Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Must be willing to relocate to MA or VA and work onsite. Remote work not accepted.
- Must be a US Citizen or Legal US Permanent Resident
Highly Desirable Qualifications:
- Masters in Engineering or equivalent experience
- Five (5) to eight (8) years’ experience in the modeling and analysis of advanced air-vehicle systems
- Experience with the high-fidelity aerodynamic design and analysis tools Pointwise, STAR‑CCM, FUN3D, Kestrel, and Tecplot
- Experience with the lower-fidelity aerodynamic design and analysis tools XFOIL, MSES, MTFLOW, AVL, ASWING, XFLR5, OpenVSP
- Familiarity with the Computer Aided Design (CAD) tool CATIA
- Research experience and interest in the design and modeling current and next generation commercial aircraft and their state of the art technologies
- Experience with high-speed (transonic or supersonic) wind tunnel testing, for example pre-test predictions, test data processing and/or post-test analysis
- Related education and/or experience in thermodynamic modeling of propulsion systems
- Familiarity in the creation of aerodynamic databases
- Experiencing mentoring other analysts strongly beneficial
- Must be a US Person (US Citizen or US Permanent Resident/Green Card Holder)
- Ability to support some travel
Aurora Flight Sciences, a Boeing Company, is a leader in the development and manufacturing of advanced unmanned systems and aerospace vehicles. Our mission is to apply autonomy and robotics to the development, production, and operation of advanced aircraft. We aim to change the way we travel.
We frequently achieve what others can’t due to a combination of experience, persistence, collaboration, and a culture of innovation. Projects are ambitious and risky. We apply breakthrough technologies to create a new state of the art, rather than advancing the old one.
During the last three decades, Aurora has designed, rapid prototyped, and flown an average of one new vehicle a year for both government and commercial customers. Now as an independent subsidiary of Boeing, Aurora’s innovation is combined with Boeing’s size and strength, creating an unprecedented opportunity to disrupt the future of the aerospace industry.