Automation Engineer (Temporary)
Indigo improves grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health through the use of natural microbiology and digital technologies. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes and agronomic insights, Indigo works with growers to sustainably produce high quality harvests. The company then connects growers and buyers directly to bring these harvests to market. Working across the supply chain, Indigo is forwarding its mission of harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. http://www.indigoag.com/
This is an exciting opportunity for an Automation Engineer with an interest in agriculture to contribute to a fast-growing and innovative company. The mission of this role is to define and execute on automation and engineering initiatives for optimizing the throughput and quality of the R&D processes delivering on our pipeline. This position will report into the Operations Team, and will be a heavily cross-functional role spanning reach across numerous departments.
- Gather input from the organization, and have a working knowledge of the processes completed within each team.
- Fully understand all automation devices incorporated inhouse and be able to resolve issues and train personnel as needed.
- Take over a majority of liquid handler programming.
- Take over a large section of inhouse designs and rapid prototyping.
- Continually engage external companies to evaluate and, as needed, import and/or partner to build tools and technologies to deliver on the mission of the role.
- Understands and embodies our purpose and core values.
- Proven ability to identify and import engineering solutions to de-bottleneck processes
- Rigorously follows good design principles: Designs, calculations, models, drawings, BOMs, data entry, operations and maintenance manuals, startup guides, troubleshooting guides, and spare parts lists
- Strong team player
- Excellent listening and communication skills to all levels and backgrounds at appropriate detail
- Action plan-oriented self-starter
- High energy and commitment to a fast paced dynamic environment
- Team player with ability to work cross functionally and simplify complex information from various level and departments
- Strong strategic thinking married with exceptional execution
- Seen by the R&D Organization as a problem solver, and being respectful of scientific constraints to applying engineering solutions
- Passion for Indigo and our core values
- BS in an engineering discipline (Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering)
- Has a proven track record of developing and execution of aggressive goals
- Engineering skills spanning automation, instrumentation, and efficient data capture/processing, with a preference towards an R&D setting
- Must have strong programming background
- Preference towards biological systems (plant or microbial) experience
- Preference towards CAD experience
- Preference towards machining/prototyping experience