Backend Software Engineer - Haskell/Scala/Clojure
TVision, with offices in New York, Boston, and Tokyo, is the leader in TV performance metrics. Utilizing cutting edge technology, we measure what was once unmeasurable - how people really watch TV. Our core technology utilizes Computer Vision; this allows us to provide critical insight to brands and agencies targeting audiences.
As a successful venture-backed tech company, our growth and innovation have been recognized by The New York Times, Advertising Age, AdWeek, MediaPost, and Forbes. You can learn more about us by visiting www.tvisioninsights.com
Efficient and reliable ingestion of data from our panelists’ in-home devices is the foundation of TVision’s products. As a key member of the development team, you will be responsible for designing and implementing solutions that analyze and process large data streams and populate our columnar analytics databases in AWS. We are strong believers in statically typed functional languages. We are using Haskell as our primary programming language for back end services, with Python components for data analysis. You will be building product components for transforming and reducing raw data at scale, performing statistical analysis to develop appropriate data reductions, writing efficient analysis queries, and recommending improvements to our ingestion pipeline and database design.
As a member of the backend development team, you will design and build:
- The services that monitor our panelist devices, retrieve data from them, and keep them running and healthy
- Algorithms that analyze and process multiple data points per second from thousands of devices
- The compute infrastructure that runs those algorithms to get accurate, timely, reliable data delivery to our analysts and customers
- The operational automation and monitoring that lets our team deliver all of that and go home on time!
You will have knowledge of and experience in one or more statically typed functional languages (Haskell, Scala, ML). We will also consider you if you have dynamically typed functional programming experience and some statically typed background, but our back end services are built in Haskell, so you need to convince us you will be successful there. Other requirements include:
- BS/MS in Computer Science or a closely related discipline.
- Knowledge of the Python programming language is highly desirable. We build data analyses in Python where we need to collaborate with data science staff outside the back end team.
- Experience with relational databases.
- Experience with Hadoop or Spark, while not necessary, will be a definite asset.
- Familiarity with a cloud computing environment such as AWS. Devops experience, either with specific AWS technologies or with more general provisioning tools (Terraform, Chef, Docker), is a major plus.
- Strong communications skills with both technical and non-technical team members.
- Collaborative and enthusiastic about agile development and scrum methodologies.
- Strong sense of project ownership and personal responsibility.
TVision prides itself on providing great benefits to its employees, including:
- Competitive pay and stock options.
- Your choice of comprehensive benefits for you and your family’s health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- FSA/HSA accounts
- Gym membership discounts
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly catered lunches
- Monthly phone reimbursement
- 401(k) retirement plan options
- Financial support for ongoing professional development
- Unlimited PTO and 12 (yes 12!) paid holidays
- Casual dress and fun office atmosphere
- Drinks and snacks stocked weekly
- Office location in the heart of Faneuil Hall, conveniently located near multiple T stops and North Station