Backend Software Engineer - Haskell/Scala/Clojure
TVision is the leader in TV performance metrics. We enable the media industry - brands, networks, and data partners alike - to reduce waste and drive greater marketing results.
We use cutting edge technology to measure what was once unmeasurable - how people really watch TV. Our core technology measures 'eyes on screen' attention, the single most accurate way to measure exposure to video content. Our solution offers critical insight into brands and agencies targeting audiences. We do this by providing a mission-critical dashboard and attention currency to our customers - some of the most well-known brands and networks globally.
Our growth and innovation have been recognized by The New York Times, Advertising Age, AdWeek, MediaPost, and Forbes.
Efficient and reliable ingestion of data from our panelists’ in-home devices is the foundation of TVision’s products. As a key member of the development team, you will be responsible for designing and implementing solutions that analyze and process large data streams and populate our columnar analytics databases in AWS. We are strong believers in statically typed functional languages. We are using Haskell as our primary backend programming language. You will be building product components for transforming and reducing raw data at scale, performing statistical analysis to develop appropriate data reductions, writing efficient analysis queries, and recommending improvements to our ingestion pipeline and database design.
As a member of the backend development team, you will design and build:
- The services that monitor our panelist devices, retrieve data from them, and keep them running and healthy
- Algorithms that analyze and process multiple data points per second from thousands of devices
- The compute infrastructure that runs those algorithms to get accurate, timely, reliable data delivery to our analysts and customers
- The operational automation and monitoring that lets our team deliver all of that and go home on time!
You will have knowledge of one or more functional programming languages (e.g. Haskell, Clojure or some LISP, Scala, ML). We are implementing our backend systems primarily in Haskell. Other requirements include:
- BS/MS in Computer Science or closely related discipline
- Knowledge of the Python programming language is highly desirable
- Experience with RDBMS.
- Experience with Hadoop or Spark, while not necessary, will be a definite asset.
- Familiarity with a cloud computing environment such as AWS. DevOps experience, either with specific AWS technologies or with more general provisioning tools (Terraform, Chef, Docker), is a major plus.
- Strong communications skills with both technical and non-technical team members.
- Collaborative and enthusiastic about agile development and scrum methodologies.
- Strong sense of project ownership and personal responsibility.
TVision prides itself in providing great benefits to its employees, including:
- Competitive pay and stock options
- Your choice of comprehensive health benefits for you and your family (health, dental, vision)
- Short and long-term disability, Life and AD&D insurance
- FSA/HSA accounts
- 401(k) retirement plan options
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly phone reimbursement
- Unlimited PTO and paid holidays
- Gym membership discounts
- Financial support for ongoing professional development
- Casual dress and fun office atmosphere
- Monthly catered lunches
- Drinks and snacks stocked weekly
- Office locations in the heart of Boston (Faneuil Hall) and New York (Grand Central Terminal)