Data Platform Engineer (Senior/Staff/Principal-level)
Who we are
BookBub is one of the fastest-growing consumer tech startups in Boston (and we’re profitable). Millions of readers use BookBub every day to find great books, and our service empowers thousands of leading publishers and authors to drive sales and find new fans. We’re expanding our team to address the challenges and opportunities of the publishing industry while continuing to help readers find books and authors they’ll love. Learn more about what to expect working at BookBub.
Our engineering philosophy
We organize into small cross-functional teams that are deeply focused on one product or initiative. These teams are empowered to make product and technology decisions and to quickly deliver end-to-end solutions. Teams build systems for the readers finding books on our site, for the authors and publishers using us to find audiences, as well as for ourselves to accelerate and streamline our own work.
We lean heavily on automation, good test coverage, and continuous deployment to ensure we’re constantly getting rapid feedback from our users, and follow the approach of starting small, shipping often, and deferring unnecessary complexity.
We believe that we build better products when our teammates have a variety of perspectives and experiences, so we care a lot about creating a supportive and inclusive environment; it’s important that everybody who joins BookBub cares about this, too.
Learn more about what to expect in our engineering interviews.
About the position
We're looking for an experienced engineer to build and improve our data-related systems. You'll collaborate with engineers, analysts, product managers, and others across the company to improve our data infrastructure. You'll work with data from a variety of sources, from millions of readers' interests in millions of books, to fine-grained email deliverability information. You'll help design, implement, and operate systems to collect this data, extract and transform it, and make it available to answer questions and solve problems.
In your first six months, you’ll likely:
- Design, build, and deploy one or more new systems or major changes to existing systems
- Pick up a few new programming techniques and hear about several new technologies from our continuously learning team
- Engage in many deep technical discussions with really friendly and talented engineers
- Solve at least one really hard scaling challenge
- Work across our data stack: Python, Ruby, Docker, AWS, Airflow, Spark, Redshift, Snowflake, Looker, etc.
- Get exposure to our application-related technologies as well: Ruby/Rails, Clojure, React.js, Postgres, Redis, etc.
We’re looking for engineers who:
- Have several years experience building data systems
- Are smart, friendly, collaborative, and intellectually curious
- Can plan and coordinate the execution of complex projects
- Are interested in growing their skills and impact over time, possibly taking on a team lead role in the future
- Love to learn and teach, to be both mentors and mentees
- Are sensitive to the perspectives of others and care about creating a positive and inclusive environment
- Possess good judgement on technical tradeoffs
- Enjoy moving products forward quickly, but want to work at a sustainable pace — we're building a business with long-term value
- Can understand our products and the business as a whole, and use that to make great technical choices
BookBub offers competitive benefit options including medical, dental, vision, 401k, generous paid parental leave, and take-what-you-need paid time off.
Your interview experience
Our goal is to create an environment where you can interview at your best. If we can provide any assistance or accommodations during your time with us, please let us know at [email protected]. All requests are treated as privately as possible and have no impact on candidate eligibility.
BookBub strives to be an inclusive workplace and we value learning from different perspectives. We seek to foster an environment filled with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.