Advance medical knowledge. That is the core of our mission here at the Massachusetts Medical Society, publishers of The New England Journal of Medicine! We’re building our next generation of platforms to better serve our technical and customer needs. As the DevOps Engineer you will assist with projects and applications focusing on the modernization and management of Massachusetts Medical Society CI/CD (Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment) processes and tools. You have 6+ years of experience being involved in all aspects of the development cycle including software development and deployment workflows such as build and test automation, configuration management, application deployment, and security.
Our Digital Business Transformation (DBX) is revamping the way we make decisions, set priorities, and use our content systems to deliver content and other services. DBX initiatives include implementation of a new content management system (MarkLogic), a new eCommerce platform (Magento), increasing our analytics capabilities, and much more!
The Massachusetts Medical Society is the statewide professional association for physicians and medical students. We are dedicated to educating and advocating for the patients and physicians of Massachusetts. We offer online CME courses and live events that award continuing medical education credits. The Society, under the auspices of NEJM Group, publishes the New England Journal of Medicine, a leading global medical journal and web site, and NEJM Journal Watch alerts and publications covering 12 specialties.
- Continually improve DevOps tools, processes, and procedures, and deploy and troubleshoot complex cloud solutions.
- Build, maintain, and scale infrastructure for application environments.
- Develop and maintain Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery systems.
- Act as key technical resource to developers, DevOps and QA engineers, and others in simplifying and automating applications, as well as making them more efficient.
- Participate in ongoing design, implementation, and maintenance of systems and tools across Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud stack, remaining current with new service and tool offerings and best practices.
- As a member of one or more Agile teams, work closely with Development and QA staff members to help ensure end-to-end quality. Work closely with the development teams to provide high quality, highly available and dynamic solutions.
- Evangelize scalable operational practices and play an active role automating and enforcing the same.
- Write and maintain infrastructure documentation.
- Exercise responsibility for delivering highly available platforms for deploying and testing our complex multi-tier applications.
- Utilize working experience with Node.js or other platforms in building micro-services for rapid prototyping and deployment.
- Develop release plans and service level agreements, and foster the migration of legacy applications to modern CI/CD pipelines.
- Own production incidents/issues, and provide application support during and – on occasion – outside of normal business hours, responding to infrastructure incidents and alerts and escalating to other subject matter experts as necessary.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in related field with 6+ years of professional technical experience, or equivalent education and experience.
- Excellent knowledge of Linux systems (Amazon Linux), and Windows systems knowledge a plus.
- Experience managing Amazon Web Services (CloudFormation, EC2, S3, ELB, ASG, etc.) is a plus, as are solid understanding of the different services AWS provides and AWS Certification.
- Experience with container systems (Docker) and container orchestration (e.g. EC2 Container Service, Kubernetes, Mesos).
- Experience with code repositories (Git), continuous integration tools (e.g. Jenkins, Maven or Gradle).
- Strong professional experience automating AWS configuration, build and deployments using Ansible, CloudFormation, OpsWorks or other equivalents.
- Understanding of AWS VPC, network management, and datacenter operations.
- Experience designing and maintaining reliable, high-availability production systems and services.
- Strong understanding of network fundamentals (TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, SSL/TLS, Layer 3 and Layer 7 load balancing, etc.).
- Experience with logging and monitoring tools, such as Splunk and Dynatrace.
- Strong scripting experience in one of the following; Python (preferred), PowerShell, Ruby, Bash
- Working knowledge of databases and system performance.
- Must be an excellent and creative problem solver. (You don’t need to know everything but you need to know how to find the solution.)
- Demonstrated cooperative work style with strong communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills in an Agile environment.
- Must be self-motivated, with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies and practices is required.
Our generous benefits offerings include: 3 weeks of paid vacation, 6 personal days, 12 sick days, 12 paid holidays, medical and dental plans, 401(k) plans with company match, an onsite back-up childcare center, tuition assistance and more!
The MMS has earned praise as one of the Top Places to Work in Massachusetts by The Boston Globe for the past 6 years in a row! The Globe surveys employees regarding their opinions about company leadership, benefits, ethics, values and culture, and recognizes those companies who receive high marks from their employees.
Massachusetts Medical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Min/Fem/Vet/Disabled