Manager of Hardware Engineering or
Director of Hardware Engineering
Join a high-performing, tight-knit team at a fast-growing company that is using the Internet of Things (IoT) to transform how organizations sense, monitor, and make decisions. Founded out of MIT in 2005, SmartSense by Digi is trusted by more than 2,000 organizations, including Walmart, SpaceX, Apple, CVS Health, Coca-Cola, and the US State Department to help them make sensor-driven decisions. We have a solution that our customers rely on every day to make mission critical decisions; we are looking for team-oriented change agents to help shape the future of IoT.
Disproportionately impact a customer-driven startup that is transforming the way companies monitor their critical environments and make decisions about safeguarding their key assets. We’re building next-generation IoT products and infrastructure that helps companies measure their world, transmit their valuable metrics to a centralized location, alert when there is something to be concerned about and even predict key events before they happen.
Dive into an empowered role managing hardware and firmware development. You’ll be familiar with all parts of our hardware and firmware—high precision sensors, low power radios, cellular modems, robust mechanical cases, and efficient algorithms and protocols. You will be driving the optimal utilization of our agile hardware/firmware team members developing cutting edge hardware while helping to ensure SmartSense is an amazing place for engineers to work. To do so, you’ll exercise judgment every day working with our product owners and our amazing hardware, firmware, and mechanical engineers to make tradeoffs between what we build and how will build it and when we have enough value to release. You’ll lead engineers to build complex, power-efficient, robust, and secure systems and have significant influence on the fire hose of value we deliver to our customers. You’ll work closely with engineering executives to grow and scale the development teams as we continue to grow.
SmartSense is an incredibly fast paced customer-driven company and you’ll be an active voice in shaping our product and user experience, down to the last detail. Our close-knit, cross-functional team is a great chance to grow your knowledge across hardware, firmware, and mechanical development.
You’ll join a team where everyone—including you—is knowledgeable about development patterns, an excellent teammate and opinionated about agile product development process. We all pitch in to help wherever necessary when things are crazy.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL…
· Learn the nuts and bolts of our hardware & cloud platforms
· Gain the respect of your team members by learning quickly, listening to their experience and applying your own fresh outside perspective to improve how we work
· Lead teams through a design cycle
· Coach team members through hardware and code reviews and one-on-ones
· Begin to play a role in building our team by identifying top talent and helping to recruit and speed them up the learning curve
· Support outsourced contract manufacturing efforts
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL...
· Play a key role in building our team by identifying top talent and helping to recruit and speed them up the learning curve
· Influence the strategic direction of the hardware engineering organization
· Help engineering executive management quantify team efficiency and health
· Direct optimization of outsourced contract manufacturing efforts
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU’LL…
· Run experiments which result in increased engineering team efficiency
· Train, mentor and influence your peers
· Play a significant role in helping us to win some of the largest IoT projects in the world
- Embedded systems, low-power design, Cortex-M processors
- Cellular modems, low-power radios, Embedded filesystems, RTOS
- C, GNU Toolchain, Eclipse, Segger
- Cadence OrCAD / Allegro, Solidworks, Fusion 360, Atlassian, Git, Basecamp
- BA/MA degree in EE/CS/Math/Physics
- 5+ years of development experience
- 5+ years of hardware team management
- experience as an agile coach
- well versed in hardware design, adaptability, team first attitude, awesome