Full Stack Software Engineer
Who we are
BookBub is one of the fastest-growing consumer tech startups in Boston. Millions of readers use BookBub every day to discover great books, and our service helps thousands of leading publishers and authors drive sales and find new fans. We're constantly growing our team to launch new consumer-facing book discovery features, tools for authors and publishers, and other web and mobile products that address the digital transition of the publishing industry. Learn more about what to expect working at BookBub.
Our engineering philosophy
We’re looking to grow our engineering team and are on the look-out for engineers who are collaborative, intellectually curious, and friendly! Each engineer works on one of our small 2-4 person teams, which have the autonomy to uncover the best solutions to our toughest challenges. We lean heavily on automation and continuous deployment to ensure we’re constantly getting rapid feedback from our users, and follow the approach of starting small, shipping often, and deferring unnecessary complexity.
In Your First Six Months, You’ll Likely:
* Design and build and deploy one or more new systems * Ship code to production ~100 times via our continuous deployment pipeline
* Pick up a few new programming techniques and hear about several new technologies from our continuously learning team
* Build, launch and test several significant new book discovery features
* Write lots of integration and unit tests (no separate QA team here)
* Engage in many deep technical discussions with really friendly and talented engineers
* Tackle at least a couple really hard scaling challenges
* Work across our entire stack: Rails, AWS, Postgres, React.js, Redis, Redshift, AWS Lambda, Ansible, Docker, Clojure, etc (it’s fine if you haven’t worked with this stack before)
We’re Looking For:
* Smart, intellectually curious software engineers with at least two years of professional experience * Engineers who love to learn and teach, to be both mentors and mentees
* Good judgement on technical tradeoffs, with a strong bias towards simple and pragmatic solutions
* Want to go fast, but at a sustainable pace -- we're building a business with long-term value
* In-depth experience with a modern web/internet stack
* Distributed systems and high scale experience are a big plus, but not required
BookBub offers competitive benefit options including medical, dental, vision, 401k, and take-what-you-need paid time off. Learn more about what to expect working at BookBub.
BookBub strives to be an inclusive workplace and we value learning from different perspectives. We seek to foster an environment filled with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.