At Markforged, we are on a mission to unlock the next 10x innovation in design and manufacturing. We build an Industrial 3D Printing Platform to liberate designers and engineers from decades-old, slow part creation processes. NASA, Google, Ford, Amazon, Siemens and thousands of companies in 50 countries use Markforged to print same-day prototypes and produce stronger end-use parts than they did before. With Markforged, customers are able to ship 50X faster, spend 20X less, and build products that are 23X stronger.
As a Materials Engineer, you will lead new material introductions in new and existing printer platforms. Using chemistry insights, you will formulate new printing materials and coatings to push the cutting edge of additive manufacturing. You will draw upon your knowledge of polymers, additives, metals, and/or ceramics to quickly iterate towards defined goals. You will take project ownership and lead small technical teams to deliver clear recommendations supported by data for material introductions. You will work closely with the materials team as well as with hardware, and software - systems level thinking is critical for success.
In this role we will:
- Own technical deliverables and subsystems in part of a larger engineering systemIntegrate materials subsystem into broader technical and compliance teams
- Creating model systems to break down complex systems into readily digestible phenomena
- Design and execute a select set of experiments to rapid gain insights, and use these results to iterate
- Formulate composite materials
- Make hypotheses and determine several ways to test them
- Record data, summarize findings, and present results
- Interface with potential suppliers, contract manufacturers, and consultants to effectively scale up production
- Create easy to follow and detailed documentation
- Comply with safety and protective equipment regulations
What we look for:
- A Bachelor's , MS, or PhD degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or related
- Several years of industrial experience, including work leading technical projects and/or project teams
- Knowledge of polymers, fillers, and additives. Metals and ceramics experience is a bonus
- Takes ownership of tasks and has strong attention to detailCreative problem solver
- Ability to multitask, prioritize tasks, and execute under tight timelines
- At Markforged, we have a culture that values learning and teaching, data-driven decisions, and makings things work
- We learn from failure and are not afraid to keep trying after others have given up
- We are a team of talented individuals and are looking to grow with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of improving how the world innovates
- We offer a competitive compensation package and a full suite of benefits, including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k), parental leave, commuter benefits, open PTO policy, and more
- Our work environment includes casual dress, a fully stocked kitchen, bike storage, free parking, weekly catered lunches, and fitness perks
Markforged values the differences among our employees and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. These differences include but are not limited to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. This goal emphasizes the development of inclusive work environments that capitalize on each employee’s skills, experience, and unique perspectives as we strive to achieve an unparalleled standard of excellence.
To all recruitment agencies: Markforged does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Markforged employees. Markforged is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description