Principal Software Development Engineer
When was the last time you had an opportunity to work at a company that was forging an industry and enabling people to get from idea to impact – fast? Smartsheet’s purpose is to empower everyone to improve how they work. Our business is built on finding great people and getting out of their way while they build and improve our award-winning Software as a Service (SaaS) offering. With over 10 million users, our platform gets used across disparate industries ranging from construction to retail to software development. This presents us with unique technical challenges.
We are looking for a Principal Software Development Engineer to join our engineering team. In this role, you will lead and positively impact multiple product areas within your functional domain, as well as influence the broader technology organization. You will provide technical leadership for critical areas that significantly impact customer success.
This position is based at our office in Boston, MA and will report to our Sr. Manager of Engineering
Our team focuses on distributed decision making that rewards ownership, transparency, and collaboration. Learn more about our platform here: Smartsheet Overview Video
Be a Technical leader:
- Guide and mentor team members regarding architecture and best practices
- Review and coach team on project designs for design review presentations
- Ensure all projects that affect the live site are presented in design review
- Ensure all projects that have a system impact undergo a deployment review
- Influence technical direction of the group
- Initiates, leads and delivers significant improvements in the effectiveness of engineers across multiple teams
- Brings teams together, finds and promotes solutions when issues inhibit effectiveness of multiple teams
Be a Product leader:
- Analyze feature sets for market effectiveness: facilitate appropriate feedback and discussions with Product and Design
- Analyze feature sets for implementation efficiency and performance: facilitates feedback and discussions with Product and Design
- Forge strong partnership with product management and other key areas of the business
Be a Quality Champion:
- Ensure projects are fully tested before being deployed
- Ensure projects have an appropriate amount of automated and manual tests
- Deployment plans are well considered and include appropriate scalability and load tests.
- Deployments are monitored to ensure success
- Features are properly monitored and maintained after they go live.
- 9+ years of combined system architecture experience across multiple OSes, languages and frameworks or equivalent experience
- 9+ years’ programming experience with technologies such as Java, C#,, C++, SQL
- Demonstrated proficiency in a modern object oriented language
- 5+ years web application development
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures and problem solving.
- Strong problem solving, reasoning and analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates ability to work independently
- Demonstrates complex problem solving skills
- Display creativity, influence, and going above and beyond attitude.
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Experience building highly scalable, high availability applications
- Familiarity with SaaS apps (Google Docs, Office365, Salesforce, etc.) is preferred
- MySQL database experience (performance, scalability, availability) is preferred
- Experience with Apache Lucene, Memcache, RabbitMQ, and NoSQL is preferred
- Experience developing, documenting, and supporting REST APIs is preferred
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Smartsheet is a place where people love what they do and are empowered to do their best work every day. We support one another and achieve our goals as a team, not as individuals. Each person, at every level, gets to have an impact.
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.