Principal Software Engineer - Front End
Who We Are
Ellevation is a growth-stage education software company that is changing how educators work with English Language Learners, the fastest-growing student demographic in the country. We build web-based products for educators to help enhance instruction, improve collaboration, and increase productivity. We partner with hundreds of school districts all across the country. Over the past year, we have more than doubled the size of our team and quadrupled the number of districts that we serve. We are well-capitalized, have a highly engaged team, and are looking to add passionate, smart, fun and enterprising folks who are interested in building a sustainable, high-impact company. This is where you come in...
We are looking for an experienced & talented principal-level front end engineer to guide our front end technology decisions. This is a hands-on technical leader who has a mastery of modern front end tech and embodies “leading by example”. You would be a trusted advisor to engineering leadership, providing guidance on all decisions regarding front end tech and in particular our transition to a single page app. You will help shape our front end development principles and standards through hands-on contributions. You will be a mentor and coach to other front end engineers. You will do this by working on front end infrastructure as well as on a small, cross functional team that builds user-facing features.
As an integral member of our Engineering team, you will create, contribute to, and own pieces of our software development platform and ecosystem. Just as important, we are looking for someone who wants to be in a startup, has tremendous communication skills, and is motivated and a self-starter. We greatly value teamwork and thus are looking for a person who engages & collaborates with others in an inclusive, peer-oriented manner, independent of their experience level or background.
As a small technology company, we seek individuals who are willing to be cross-functional, hands-on in multiple areas, and a technical thought leader for the organization. You will be testing, releasing and supporting the code that you develop. You are expected to take on and own initiatives and duties for the company, spark and lead discussion, and help establish the company’s technical direction while providing timely and quality support and education across the organization. This is a tremendous opportunity to build the engineering foundation of the company.
- Shape our front-end technology, best practices and UI vision
- Collaborate with Product Managers, UX Designers and Engineers to develop elegant, reusable front end components for all Ellevation products
- Own and maintain internal component library
- Collaborate frequently in design reviews, pair programming and code reviews
- 5-10 years experience in front end engineering in a startup, web-based SaaS environment
- Deep experience with building a single page app and a component based architecture, from the ground up
- Firm understanding of HTML5 and CSS standards and usage
- Understanding of web page and component display principles using AJAX, partial updates, and asynchronous request handling
- Knowledge of responsive, cross-browser compatibility strategies and related debugging tools
- Values clean and elegant but pragmatic and effective software design in order to meet deadlines with high-quality code
- Experience working within an Agile organization (Kanban, scrum, etc.)
- Commitment to continuous improvement and the mission; desire to focus talents on helping improve outcomes for others.