Principal Software Engineer (Front-end)
Greater Boston Area
Your work as a principal front-end engineer will empower thousands of Appcues customers to improve their products without writing any code. This is also a unique opportunity to mentor other front-end engineers to hone their skills, leading by example with exceptional engineering practices. The Appcues platform you will work on is currently is made up of two major front-end applications. First, the Appcues Flow Builder Chrome extension allows customers to drag and drop to craft unique experiences such as in-app onboarding guides, checklists, and surveys. Second, the Appcues Web app enables customers to segment, personalize, and target these experiences to millions of end-users, and report on their effectiveness.
About the role:
- The engineering team currently has 20 people across 4 small teams. We are looking to expand our core web app team, which today has four engineers responsible for segmentation, analytics, reporting, sign up, and administration. On a typical day, you may build a new feature, plan a technology migration, drive consensus on a new practice, or mentor another engineer.
- Our front-end engineers use React/Redux with styled-components to create experiences that communicate with internal APIs (Node and Elixir), or integrate with 3rd party services. We write tests in Jest, Enzyme and RainforestQA.
- The engineering team is co-located and works in one or two-week iterations. We are committed to iterative agile development and manage our work via Github, Clubhouse, and Slack. When you are ready, you’ll create and send a pull request with tests and tag your team for review. We use CI pipelines to deploy to production and continually invest in them to deliver higher quality software faster.
- You’ll collaborate across the organization with product, design, customer success, technical support, and sales to translate customer needs into working code and a delightful UX. You will be involved in all stages of development including conception, design, and user-testing of new features and products.
- You have designed modular front-end architectures to support the rapid growth of large front-end, client-rich applications. For example, apps that have implemented undo/redo, drag and drop experience building, or collaborative editing.
- You enjoy mentoring other engineers and helping them grow technically. You have been a key go-to person across your company for your expertise and help.
- You are an expert in debugging challenging issues such as race conditions. You have significant experience measuring and improving perceived front-end performance (e.g. speed to load and change routes) with a deep understanding of browser internals and the DOM.
- You are passionate about unit and integration testing strategies, the testing pyramid, CI pipelines, and the challenges sustaining test suites over the long term.
- You are comfortable with package management and the related ecosystem of tools, builds, distribution techniques, and component library strategies.
At Appcues, our mission is to help teams build products their users love. With Appcues, you can create in-product experiences (user onboarding, feature announcements, checklists, and more) without writing any code. We believe it’s the non-technical people who often have the best information about a user’s needs and desires, and we give them the tools to act.
We’re a dynamic group of talented teammates who challenge, trust, and care about each other, the work we do, and the success story we are writing. We live by our values, our benefits are real, and sometimes we have donuts!
Appcues is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse team is a stronger team.
Read Full Job Description