Principal Software Engineer - Supply Chain
Chewy is looking for a Principal Engineer to join the Supply Chain Technology organization in Boston, MA. This engineer will help develop and execute the architectural vision for their team, and thereby help Chewy to accelerate technological growth and reach new customers. This is a high visibility and high impact role with influence that cuts across all of Chewy. The supply chain technology organization develops micro-services and tools that enable, support, and optimize processes and practices for order fulfillment, and inbound and outbound logistics. This role includes architecting ground-up development of new systems, and orchestrating the migration existing systems into micro-services. Further, this engineer will collaborate across the engineering organization to create best practices help to map the overall ecosystem for Chewy's service architecture.
What you'll do:
- Lead the design and development of cloud-based services that support the Supply Chain Technology Team's roadmap
- Help team to design code that are logical, maintainable, scalable, modular, monitorable, highly available, secure, and performant
- Help team to meet SLAs and KPIs by design
- Be a full stake owner of service quality and operational excellence
- Help team to establish API contracts that are maintainable and meet customer use cases
- Establish and champion architectural standards best practices that enable automated test and continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD).
- Translate organizational level business requirements and use cases into infrastructure capabilities verified to meet the requirements.
- Help in the creation of PRD and business case documents that establish the team's future roadmap
- Collaborate with other architects to establish and refine org-wide best practices, service ecosystem, data flows, reference architectures, reusable modules, and tooling.
What you'll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering related field or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 10 years IT architect experience
- Minimum 5 years of software development in Java8 or similar
- Minimum of 3 years of cloud architecture and service development experience
- Knowledge of Primary AWS Services and history of implementing AWS services
- Integration of cloud services with on-premises technologies
- Leading highly-available and fault-tolerant enterprise and web-scale software deployments
- Experience migrating monolithic software applications to cloud-based services
- Experience coding in higher level programming language, Python, Ruby, JSON, etc.
- Configuration management using CloudFormation
- Experience with software development life cycle (SDLC) and agile/iterative and agile/scrum methodologies required
- Hands-on experience leading the design, development and deployment of business software at scale or current hands on technology infrastructure, network, compute, storage, and virtualization experience
- Experience driving discussions with senior personnel regarding trade-offs, best practices, project management and risk mitigation
- Innovative and ability to think outside the box for creative problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges
- Experience mentoring and coaching colleagues
- Track record of identifying and driving opportunities for continuous improvement
- Comfortable working in cross functional and multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent written and spoken communication
- Position may require some travel
- Experience with OpenAPI, Swagger, or stoplight.io
- Experience with configuration and deployment management via Terraform or Ansible
- Infrastructure automation through DevOps scripting (E.g. shell, Python, Ruby, Powershell)
- Experience in ecommerce, supply chain, fulfillment, transportation or logistics.
- Machine Learning algorithm and model development