Senior Linux Systems Engineer
Chewy is looking for a Senior Linux Systems Engineer to join our infrastructure department. This position can sit out of Dania Beach, FL or Boston, MA. As part of the infrastructure engineering team, the Sr Linux Systems Engineer will design, build, test, deploy, and address interoperability issues for the base Linux operating systems, supporting libraries, components, and application dependencies. Key responsibilities include engineering and deployment of complex operating system, application and hardware solutions. Additionally, the Sr Linux Systems Engineer will work with IT Operations, Development, Service Delivery, and Site Support teams to provide mentoring, documentation, analysis and resolution of escalated incidents.
What you'll do:
- Perform system design, deployment, and administration of Linux systems (primarily CentOS)
- Deploy and maintain orchestration and system configuration tools such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Terraform, etc.
- Manage changes to systems with strong focus on security impacts
- Collaborate with developers to architect and enhance production application deployments
- Monitor system performance and manage capacity requirements
- Create and maintain virtual machines templates and deployments with the appropriate distribution of Linux (CentOS)
- Engineer and deploy access management or ssh key management system (FreeIPA, OpenLDAP ..etc)
- Responsible for impact analysis and design modifications to existing systems to support new solutions.
- Participate in proof of concepts to assist in defining technology direction and enabling business strategy
- Define data retention, backup, and recovery methods and plans
- Participate in on-call rotation for level 3 support escalations
- Position may require some travel
What you'll need:
- Expert level knowledge of CentOS
- 5-10 years or more of UNIX/Linux system administration experience
- Strong experience with virtualization, monitoring and automation
- Understanding of DevOps principles to serve as a bridge between Infrastructure and DevOps teams
- Skilled in Linux-related scripting (Bash, Perl, Python, etc.)
- Experience with open source server software such as Apache, Tomcat, Memcache, or Kafka
- Understanding and experience with compliance controls such as SOX, PCI, etc.
- Customer-focused mindset
- Understanding of the Release and Deployment Management processes
- Strong understanding of TCP/IP networking fundamentals
- A bachelor’s degree in computer sciences or equivalent
- Certification in ITIL
- Knowledge of project management methodology
- RHCE certification or similar