Senior Scientist, Abiotic Stress
Indigo improves grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health through the use of natural microbiology and digital technologies. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes and agronomic insights, Indigo works with growers to sustainably produce high quality harvests. The company then connects growers and buyers directly to bring these harvests to market. Working across the supply chain, Indigo is forwarding its mission of harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. http://www.indigoag.com/
The role of Senior Scientist will be to develop high-throughput plant assays to screen microbial strains (as individuals or consortia), to effect tolerance to abiotic stresses. Develop calendarized assay schedules to maximize assay throughput. Ensure delivery of high-throughput screens, hit identification and channeling into subsequent assays. Cross-train other science leads and Research Associates to run assays. Ensure that data is captured, analyzed, stored in an enterprise data system, and available for decision making and as input for computational frameworks. Design, optimize and execute plant physiological studies that will allow Indigo to effectively evaluate products in our pipeline. Understand treatment impacts on agronomical traits and have knowledge of crop cultivation and plant developmental stages and physiology
- Abiotic Assay Development: assume ownership of strategy for ongoing assay development. Ensure alignment of approaches to deliver on highest priority TPP’s for key crops (soy, corn, cotton, wheat and rice).
- Complete development of ongoing abiotic assay/screen.
- Ensure delivery of high-throughput screening data, hit identification and channeling into subsequent assays.
- With the Data Lead, ensure data is captured, analyzed, stored in an enterprise data system, available for decision making and as input for computational frameworks.
- Ensure capture of IP
- Be familiar with the entire pipeline and how this role can complement Discovery, Product Development and Commercial
- Demonstrate the ability to work the Indigo way; to keep learning, work safely and collaboratively, leverage existing resources and make a significant contribution.
- Stay current with latest developments in plant physiology and abiotic stress, plant-microbe interactions
- Leverage project management tools to develop and execute pipeline process
- Proactively contribute to site safety and compliance culture
- Develop and maintain SOP’s for assays
- Proactively connect and collaborate with Plant Physiological Analysis team in RTP, NC.
- Understands and embodies our purpose & core values
- Understands and embodies our mission & core values
- Excited by Indigo’s mission; believes that Indigo can fundamentally change the agriculture industry; can clearly articulate passion for our mission and values
- Optimistic and innovative; solution-oriented; shows no signs of cynicism
- Will be widely viewed as someone who personifies our core values, is committed to them, and leans on them when making decisions. Specifically:
- Demonstrates a track record of high integrity - doing the right thing, owning mistakes, conducting oneself honestly
- Values, communicates and interacts with others with high levels of transparency and respect
- Collaborates well across functions; creates an inspiring and collegial work environment
- Comfortable with a fast-pace environment
- Great organizational skills, methodical, and attention to detail required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong Experimental Design and Statistical Analysis skills
- Ability to be collaborative
- Ability to manage staff and projects
- Passionate about sustainability and Indigo’s mission and core values
- Ph.D. and minimum of 5 years of post-PhD academic or industrial experience in plant biology/ physiology or agronomy
- Experience with creation of Greenhouse screening assays
- Experience with high throughput testing
- Experience with plant phenotyping and imaging
- Experience with crop germplasm and agriculture chemistries
- Experience evaluating microbes
- Demonstrated history of success