Senior Software Developer, Android
Bevi is a Series C startup that has raised over $60 million to bring customizable, healthy hydration to offices and facilities across the US and Canada. Founded in 2013, our co-founders set out to out-design bottled water. Within five years time, Bevi has saved the waste generated by over 50 million plastic bottles and seen revenue grow by 10x over the past 2 years! With offices now in Boston, New York, and San Francisco, we continue to grow our healthy flavor offerings and constantly strive to bring the next level of customization to the Bevi hydration experience.
We are a small and fun engineering team in a fast-growing hardware startup. Whether you prefer providing mentorship to junior engineers or acting as a technical sounding board for all, this role invites seasoned engineers to exercise their deep expertise. A hunger for keeping up with new software technologies - that’s just who you are. As a Senior Developer, your guidance and input drive architecture and functionality decisions. You are will be eager to stay on the cutting- edge of the mobile market across a broad spectrum of industries. If you love thinking through new ideas and interactions, how to execute them in an innovative way, and have a deep respect for user experience, come join our team!
What you will do:
- Explore and expand the Bevi applications for the Android platform
- Play a mission-critical role in defining, designing, implementing and shipping new features.
- Optimize the kiosk mode of Android tablets by customizing the Android OS (AOSP)
- Innovate on and create solutions that add value and amaze the end user
- Build a delightful UI/UX for our Android tablets
- Leverage modern architectural patterns, third-party libraries to deliver new features. Profile and improve app performance.
- Contribute to code quality by writing Unit, UI, and Integration tests
- Provide mentorship and instruct on code styles and best practices via code reviews and peer learning
- Scale our backend to handle factor 10 increase
How you will grow:
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize development efficiency and effectiveness
- Create software that supports our physical product and take on responsibility for shaping that product
- Work with a very broad set of technologies, from embedded programming to mobile Android apps, from UI to backend and database, and use the latest open tools and processes
- Engage with a talented engineering team drawn from diverse sectors, mentor and coach junior team members, and learn from best-in-class leadership
- Deploy your energy and expertise to further the company's mission of sustainability, wellness, and positive personal and environmental change
We think you will bring:
- Mastery of Android SDK
- Prior work in an Agile environment (Scrum preferred)
- Knowledge of web services, specifically REST APIs
- Hands-on experience developing production-ready Android apps
- Experience building and shipping non-trivial applications of at least reasonable complexity
- Strong analytical and technical skills and high level of detail-orientation
- A true self-starter approach and sense of ownership
- Experience with React.js, Redux, Android, Java, and Docker
- Genuine desire and commitment to always learn, improve, and produce the best work possible
- Firmware is a plus; embedded development; AOSP
- NOTE: Candidates must be authorized to work in the US for any employer in order to be eligible for this role
- Competitive compensation package, inclusive of generous equity options for employees at all levels
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance plans with BlueCross BlueShield and MetLife, 95% paid by employer
- Fully employer paid disability and life insurances
- Wellness and fitness reimbursements
- 401(k) and personal finance education
- 15 days vacation and 9 paid holidays, plus additional paid days for sick leave, bereavement, etc.
- Paid parental leave for both primary and secondary caregivers (mothers and fathers)
- Monthly stipends for cell phone use and commuting costs
- Generous employee referral program
- Fully stocked kitchen and Bevis on tap - and composting and terracycling, too
- Monthly happy hours, pancake breakfasts, Hero awards… and more!