Senior Software Engineer, Java
Chewy is hiring a Senior Software Engineer - Java for our eCommerce Systems team in Boston, MA. You will deliver solutions and features for the leading online pet retailer in the US. We are offering relocation assistance for Java Developers who complete our interview process and are made an official offer of employment.
What you'll do:
You'll lead a team that is responsible for the vision, strategy, product roadmap, and development of Chewy’s core ecommerce platform which consists of customer management, order and shipment management, returns management, catalog management, competitive pricing tools, search and personalization services, and operational analytics. You'll have significant influence over the vision, features, and design of this critical platform. Working with other technology teams, you and your team will design and build interfaces that integrate with vendor and supply chain systems, fulfillment systems, and financial systems. This is a high-profile position that will have exposure across the entire business. You will write simple and sustainable code that reflects a constant understanding of the business impacts. This is a terrific opportunity to join a thriving startup and have a significant role in its success. There is a tremendous opportunity to grow professionally and to be a part of a dynamic and successful team.
What you'll need:
- 5+ years of experience in an object-oriented language such as Java or Scala
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Proficiency in Computer Science fundamentals – object oriented design, data structures, algorithm - design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience mentoring and training the engineering community on complex technical issues
- Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills
- Experience with designing, building and deploying scalable, highly available systems.
- Strong background with modern tools and environments (e.g., XML, web services, version control systems, bug/issue tracking tools)
- Have or (more importantly) be willing to learn deep domain knowledge in the area of retail e-commerce.
- Position may require travel
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics or Electrical Engineering
- Experience with Scrum, XP or other agile methodologies a plus.
- Good communication skills with both technical and business people.
- Experience with data analysis/mining in large scale database environments a plus.
- A working knowledge of optimization algorithms (e.g., linear programming) and mathematical modeling a plus.