Software Engineering Manager
Join a high-performing, tight-knit team at a fast-growing company that is using the Internet of Things (IoT) to transform how organizations sense, monitor, and make decisions. Founded out of MIT in 2005, SmartSense by Digi is trusted by more than 4,000 organizations, including Walmart, SpaceX, Apple, CVS Health, Coca-Cola, and the US State Department to help them make sensor-driven decisions. We have a solution that our customers rely on every day to make mission critical decisions. We are looking for team-oriented change agents to help shape the future of IoT.
Disproportionately impact a customer-driven company that is transforming the way companies monitor their critical environments and make decisions about safeguarding their key assets. We’re building next-generation IoT products and infrastructure that helps companies measure their world, transmit their valuable metrics to a centralized location, alert when there is something to be concerned about and even predict key events before they happen.
Dive into an empowered role directing a software development team. You’ll be familiar with all parts of our stack—data ingestion, storage, notification, presentation and analytics. You will be driving the optimal utilization of our agile software team members on a modern cloud platform while helping to ensure SmartSense is an amazing place for engineers to work. To do so, you’ll exercise judgment every day working with our Product team and our Engineering teams to make tradeoffs between what we build and how will build it and when we have enough value to release. You’ll lead engineers to build scalable and resilient large complex systems and have significant influence on the fire hose of value we deliver to our customers. You’ll work closely with engineering executives to grow and scale the development teams as we continue to grow aggressively.
SmartSense is an incredibly fast paced customer-driven company and you’ll be an active voice in shaping our product and user experience, down to the last detail when shipping your features. Our close-knit, cross-functional team is a great chance to grow your knowledge across all layers of our system.
You’ll join a team where everyone—including you—is knowledgeable about development patterns, an excellent teammate and opinionated about agile product development process. We all pitch in to help wherever necessary when things are crazy.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL…
· Learn the nuts and bolts of our physical sensor platform & cloud platform
· Gain the respect of your team members by learning quickly, listening to their experience and applying your own fresh outside perspective to improve how we work
· Lead teams through several release cycles
· Coach team members through code reviews and one on ones
· Begin to play a role in building our team by identifying top talent and helping to recruit and speed them up the learning curve
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL...
· Play a key role in building our team by identifying top talent and helping to recruit and speed them up the learning curve
· Influence the strategic direction of the software engineering organization
· Help engineering executive management quantify team efficiency and health
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU’LL…
· Run experiments which result in increased engineering team efficiency
· Train, mentor and influence your peers
· Play a significant role in helping us to win some of the largest IoT projects in the world
- relational/non-relational databases
- CICD, DevOps, Git, Web Services and SaaS
- BA/MA degree in CS/EE/Math/Physics
- 5+ years of development experience
- 1+ years of software team management
- experience as an agile coach
- well versed in security principles, adaptability, team first attitude and awesome
SmartSense by Digi builds internet connected sensors and software that enable organizations to automatically monitor, track, and analyze sensor data for quality control, compliance, and operational efficiency. Our team is motivated to improve the world by providing real-time information that ensures medication and food safety. Our Vaccine Monitoring Initiative donates one system for each system we sell, so that a healthcare clinic in need can monitor life-saving vaccines. We endeavor to be both the best in the world at what we do, as well as, to be the best for the world because of how we do it; if you’re the right candidate, we will reach that goal together – and have a great time doing it!
SmartSense is proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.