Software Team Lead, Discounts
We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an extraordinary commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help craft the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Toast is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to play a leadership role on the team responsible for owning and evolving the way discounts apply to guest checks. Discounting is largely centered around a highly configurable, powerful Rules Engine, used to determine the eligibility of a discount. This team owns code that spans across our entire stack from our Android Point of Sale system, to backend microservices, to frontend configuration pages. It is used daily in thousands of restaurants across tens of thousands of devices. We need help in evolving our architecture to support ever more complex new features, and best-in-class monitoring as we scale to orders of magnitude our current size!
Some projects we’ve been working on recently include:
- Functionality to trigger the discount based on the name or type of an ordered item
- Validation of configuration structures across production in order to enforce a better structure (and evolve to new structures)
- Complete re-architecture of the core engine code to be more portable across different platforms
- Live differential analysis tool to compare production requests from the “current” version of the code with that of a “new” version of the code to spot differences before the “new” code goes live
As a software team lead on the discounts team, you will be:
- Working with our CTO, Chief Architect, and Platform PMs to define and scope high-impact platform improvements
- Leading a team of 2-4 software engineers to deliver results at a high level of quality
- Making hands-on code contributions to your team’s projects
- Defining monitoring, deployment, and elevation strategies for your team’s production services
- Mentoring and developing team members
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Proficient in Java or other object oriented languages
- Proficient with traditional databases and alternative data stores
- Experience delivering high quality, reliable services to production
- Excellent cross-team communication skills on complex technical topics
- Prior experience as tech lead or team lead
- Empathy for users, both internal (other Toast teams) and external (our restaurants)
- Passionate about building great software
- Experience with Kotlin is a plus
- Prior experience with distributed systems, microservices and capacity planning is a plus
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.