Sr. Software Engineer, Kitchen & Ordering Workflow
We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an extraordinary commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help craft the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Toast is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to play a meaningful role on the team responsible for the main kitchen and ordering workflows which get food to the diners. Our features are used by every employee at Toast-powered restaurants, whether they’re a server taking an order, a cook preparing an entree, or a manager reviewing their sales reports. We ensure that these operations work smoothly and seamlessly as our platform scales, even if the tablets are not able to connect to Toast’s backend services. We need your help to improve our product and add the next generation of features used daily by thousands of restaurants.
Some projects we’ve been working on recently include:
- Re-architecting data models that track kitchen tickets to address issues syncing data between the tablets and our backend servers
- Instrumenting and stress-testing our Kitchen Display Screen to set internal benchmarks for performance
- Allowing servers to bulk administer checks to another server at the end of their shift
- Optimizing kitchen workflows by routing complex menu items and printed tickets, based on prep times, to their respective kitchen prep stations (i.e. making sure all of your entree items are timed correctly in the kitchen, so your food arrives at the right temperature)
As a senior software engineer on the kitchen and ordering workflows team, you will be:
- Crafting, building and maintaining high performance, flexible and highly scalable mobile applications
- Collaborating in all aspects of SLDC
- Diagnosing performance bottlenecks and implementing optimizations
- Thinking in terms of our end-users; servers, chefs, short order cooks and food runners
- Surveying and evaluating available technology options
- Actively contributing to product design and feature selection discussions
- Participating in code reviews to ensure technical implementations meet functional requirements
- Mentoring other team members
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Proficient in Java
- Well-versed in the android ecosystem
- Passionate about building great software
- An interest and commitment to continuous learning
- Known for having a get unblocked attitude
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java 8 and DropWizard; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using Angular and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end.