Staff Front End Engineer (Online Ordering)
"Every day I come into the office, I'm confident there will be a plethora of hard technical problems to solve, and a brilliant team working together to solve them. Toast is scaling its functionality and its customer base faster than any company I've worked for. That ecosystem is keeping me sharp, focused, and relentlessly engaged. Bring it on." - Chris B; Engineering, Payments
Toast is a rapidly growing startup building the first all-in-one restaurant management software platform. Toast’s platform helps restaurants operate more efficiently and connect with their customer base in new and innovative ways. We have multiple web applications that serve different classes of users ranging from consumers using our online-ordering platform, to restaurant general managers doing back-of-house administration, to Toast internal tools for support, services and engineering. This is good for the guest experience and good for the restaurant! We serve cafes, restaurants, bars and nightclubs in all 50 states. We move fast and thus have lots of opportunities for career growth. If you’re passionate about your work and want to be in a fun and growing industry, join us!
Toast is looking for an experienced engineer who can help us grow and scale a modern front-end stack while contributing to the development of features and infrastructure. You will be working on software that is used every day by restaurants to run their business; this includes restaurant owners, staff and sometimes even restaurant guests. Toast’s engineers build things ranging from consumer facing e-commerce websites, to elegant modern intuitive UIs that administer complex menu structures, to a reporting application for charting and graphing restaurant business data. We need talented engineers to build and maintain the highest quality product as our vision moves forward.
Some projects we’ve been working on recently, include:
- Adding user accounts to our online ordering add-on
- Discount administration with rules and triggers
- New charts for analytics/reporting using D3.js
As a Front End Engineer for the Online Ordering team, you will:
- Oversee the modernization of our framework from Angular 1 to React.
- Bring new tools and techniques, e.g. testing, type-checking, to improve the quality of our growing codebase.
- Define best practices and help choose technologies to evolve our current front-end stack while writing world-class applications
- Increase development velocity by modularizing our codebase and robustifying our build system.
- Implement a plan to increase our front-end unit test coverage.
- Give design feedback and review PRs for the rest of the team.
- Be part of a team working with UX, PM, QA and other engineers building web applications
- Coordinate with the rest of Toast, setting standards and developing libraries for all our front end projects.
If you’re someone that has:
- Experience developing a complex web application
- Demonstrated experience making front-end architecture improvements
- Become well-versed in modern JS frameworks (e.g. React, Angular)
- Written testable code backed by well-crafted unit tests
- (Bonus points) Prior knowledge of consumer-facing products
- (Bonus points) Experience working in an agile environment
Get in touch with us; we'd love to talk!