Staff Software Engineer, Android Platform
We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an extraordinary commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help craft the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to play a major role on the team responsible for scaling our Android platform and the supporting infrastructure. Toast’s platform supports tens of thousands of devices per day, and this number grows constantly as we add new restaurants to the platform.
Android Platform has three major scopes. We are responsible for the Android app architecture and providing developers with a great platform to create features effectively. We also manage all the data produced from our devices, which allows our teams, engineering and otherwise, to have better insights into customer day-to-day interactions. We own our upgrade process and related release management process for our app rollout.
As part of the Android Platform team, you will be creating the infrastructure to keep pace with our growing app. We are looking for someone who can identify gaps in our current infrastructure supporting our Android app and help us create a more mature platform.
Some projects we’ve been working on recently include:
- Modularize our Android app by feature
- Create a single page application for app release management
- Splunk integration for device data
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Android Platform team, you will be:
- Designing, building and maintaining high performance, flexible and highly scalable web and mobile applications
- Participating in designing, estimating effort, implementing, testing, debugging, configuring, integrating and documenting database, middle-tier and front end web and Android code
- Diagnosing performance bottlenecks in mobile and implementing optimizations
- Thinking in terms of the end-user and designing accordingly
- Evaluating and implementing best technology options
- Actively contributing to product design and feature selection discussions
- Mentoring other team members
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Proficient in Java or other object oriented languages (Kotlin experience welcome)
- Well-versed in microservices architecture and databases
- Passionate about building great software for developers and restaurants
- Excited to work in rapidly changing environment
- Great at communicating and working with others
- Prior Android experience and web UI knowledge are a plus
Our Tech Stack, for this role:
- Web stack is React single page application
- Mobile stack is Android with Java/Kotlin
- Microservice stack is Java / Kotlin with databases on DynamoDB or Postgres