Vice President (VP), Software Engineering
Bevi is an environmental company that aims to entirely eliminate disposable bottles and cans through smart beverage machines that purify water and create healthy beverages on demand. Our first product is an IoT office water cooler that serves customizable sparkling and flavored water. We’re growing over 100% year over year and have raised over $60M in venture capital.
The VP Software Engineering will lead development of Bevi’s proprietary software, creating an integrated experience across machine interfaces and various customer/distributor applications. The role entails leading -- and quickly growing -- a 6-person software & data science team. In addition to machine controls, Bevi’s product includes a homegrown IoT platform to manage operations for, and collect data from, machines in the field. We’re just scratching the surface in terms of what we can do with thousands of internet-connected machines. This role will take Bevi’s customer experience and operational efficiency to the next level by using real-time data to guide logistics and optimize machine performance.
This position will report directly to Bevi’s CEO, and will work hand in hand with our VP Hardware Engineering and Co-Founder / Head of Product.
- Own all software and firmware development from machine controls, to web applications for foodservice distributors to manage Bevi logistics, to mobile applications for end users.
- Set and maintain the roadmap for Bevi’s software ecosystem, comprising both applications for our customers as well as internal tools for operations, quality control, and engineering.
- Bring world-class products to market faster and more cost-effectively than our competitors can.
- Rapidly grow the capacity of our software team by recruiting FTEs as well as outsourcing to engineering firms.
- Build out Bevi’s data science function, establishing strategies to collect and utilize information from machines to optimize operations and improve the customer experience.
- Build Bevi’s employer brand as a technical leader in the IoT space. Ensure that team members are achieving their professional goals and outpacing their counterparts in other companies.
- Collaborate closely with our product team and hardware engineering team to drive the product roadmap, assess the needs of various stakeholders, and make tradeoffs between budget, features, and timeline.
- Manage outsourced engineering firms, and make strategic decisions about what work to build vs. buy.
- In partnership with our VP Hardware Engineering and our General Counsel, own intellectual property strategy in a changing competitive landscape.
- As a member of the company’s leadership team, help shape Bevi’s overall direction, and ensure technology strategy and business strategy are tightly integrated.
- Experience scaling software products (in particular SaaS products) in a high-growth start-up environment. Experience with IoT products is a big plus.
- A successful track record of rapidly recruiting engineers and building fun, cohesive teams. If your former colleagues tend to join you at new companies, that’s a wonderful sign!
- Strong managerial and coaching skills.
- A highly collaborative work style and willingness to make tradeoffs to keep projects on track.
- Experience successfully managing outsourced partners and suppliers.
- A deep understanding of design thinking.
- The ability to communicate effectively across various levels of responsibility with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- BS or higher in Computer Science or a similar discipline (or equivalent experience).
- 10+ years of experience developing and scaling successful software or IoT products, with at least 5 years in a hypergrowth venture-backed start-up
- Competitive compensation package, inclusive of both commission and equity options
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance plans with BlueCross BlueShield and MetLife, 95% paid by employer
- Fully employer paid disability and life insurances
- Wellness and fitness reimbursements
- 401(k) and personal finance education
- 15 days vacation and 9 paid holidays, plus additional paid days for sick leave, bereavement, etc.
- Paid parental leave for both primary and secondary caregivers (mothers and fathers)
- Monthly stipends for cell phone use and commuting costs
- Generous employee referral program
- Fully stocked kitchen and Bevi on tap - and composting and terracycling, too
- Monthly happy hours, pancake breakfasts, Hero awards… and more!