VP of Dealer Engineering
Meet CarGurus—the #1 visited online car shopping website in the US. At CarGurus, we’re building the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace where it’s easy to find great deals from top-rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation and vehicle history.
We’re looking for a hands on technical leader for our Dealer Engineering Team who is passionate about creating software that is used by millions. Our team solves a variety of unique challenges, from designing complex data structures and algorithms to machine learning and data analytics. We deploy code daily and use data to drive our decisions, while delivering software and analytics to consumers and dealers around the world.
Our Dealer Engineering team focuses on monetization of our web traffic and providing valuable services to dealers on the CarGurus platform. They are also responsible for the rapid ingestion and loading of used car data from hundreds of data sources that we use to power our site. Our growing suite of products are used by dealers worldwide to tackle challenges ranging from dealer inventory data normalization and feature extraction, local market insights analysis, display advertising, audience re-targeting, SEM, internal tooling automation, and more. We are using data and analytics to help dealers find customers and improve their businesses processes. This is a high visibility role that reports directly to the SVP of Engineering.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead several engineering teams in development of world class software for dealer businesses and advertisers in the U.S. and around the world
- Collaborate with other departments to define new products
- Work closely with engineering teams to provide guidance on overall software architecture
- Prioritize team efforts and plan projects in a highly iterative environment
- Plan, design, and execute product prototypes to production to validate market opportunities
- Mentor team leads and individual contributors
- Manage and contribute to the rapid scaling of the team
Who You Are:
- 10+ years of Software Engineering Experience
- 2+ years of team leadership experience
- Expertise with Java, or similar object oriented languages
- Able to lead the development, testing, and delivery of multiple software products
- Drawn to and thrive in a fast-paced environment that pushes code daily
- Looking to work on challenging and highly-technical problems.
- Able to collaborate well with other functional teams
- Ensure all developed products meet communicated needs/goals
- Capable of providing mentorship for team leads and be able to review of critical code/designs
- Experienced with building scalable websites (e-commerce) or large scale applications
- Strong understanding of MySQL or similar relational databases
- Understanding of how to build high volume, distributed back-end services with latest technologies
- Knowledge of, or desire to learn search and / or related technologies like ElasticSearch
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field (preferred)
At the core of our company culture is a spirit of innovation, curiosity and collaboration. True to our start-up roots, we’re nimble, flexible and hardworking. We have a great respect for testing and learning and a healthy aversion to scheduling meetings to discuss meetings. Lunch is catered daily. Gym membership is free. Foosball and ping pong are played often. Now a publicly-traded company, we’re as committed as ever to cultivating the culture that got us here.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, the UK and Germany with other markets on the horizon. Our offices are located in Cambridge, MA, Detroit, MI and Dublin, Ireland. If you’d like to learn more, please visit our careers page.