Web Engineer (Uplift Financial)
Cogo Labs' consumer finance company, Uplift Financial, is seeking a web engineer as we scale our business. This role is a good fit for a candidate with 0-2 years' experience in an engineering role, including recent graduates. We are looking for someone who wants to get in on the ground floor of a fast-growing start-up, with the support of an incubator with a track record of success, including EverQuote (Nasdaq: EVER), Autotegrity (acquired, ADP), and CourseAdvisor (acquired, Washington Post).
What you'll do
In this role, you'll be refining and adding to Uplift's personal finance web properties. That means making data-driven improvements to our personal loan marketplace (we A/B test almost everything), as well as spearheading development of brand new features like financial calculators or lender reviews. Throughout, you'll have the opportunity to interface with top-notch engineering teams throughout the Cogo Labs incubator, and also provide thoughtful input on our strategic direction as a company.
How we work
Our engineering team is just 4 people today, and we move quickly but thoughtfully. Armed with insights from our analytics team and Cogo Labs' competitive intelligence tools, and with technical support from the incubator's stellar engineering team, we're able to do the right things, and do them fast. To enable this without sacrificing code quality, we use GitHub for project management (we prioritize weekly) and code reviews, and make full use of test suites and CI tools. Our technology includes:
- Git/GitHub for version control, project management, and knowledge-sharing throughout the incubator
- TravisCI to run our builds
- Docker for containerization
- Kuberenetes for orchestration
- AWS infrastructure
- Postgres and MySQL databases
- Python (Django) for our web app
- ReactJS, and some vanilla (for now) HTML/CSS/JS on the front end
- Python scripts to automate email and other internet traffic campaigns
What you need
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent discipline
- A strong interest in growing a business from the ground up (we're just 11 people today)
- Familiarity with a front-end framework like React, Vue, or Angular
- Familiarity with Python
- Experience working with MacOS or Linux development tools
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication
- Humility and curiosity for technology and business alike
- Previous startup or financial services experience
- Interest in and knowledge of budgeting, investing, or behavioral economics
The world of consumer finance is complex and poorly understood. Uplift Financial simplifies the process of making better financial decisions. Today, our focus is helping consumers find credit products that actually help them get on the right track - no payday loans here. As we grow, we'll be adding new product categories until we're a trusted advisor for every decision in our users' financial lives.
We're a team of Cogo Labs engineers, analysts, and managers, working in a rapidly-growing market with the support of Cogo Labs' engineering and business expertise.
What we value
We have our values written down in our wiki, and we stick to them. If you think these are important, you'll fit in well.
- Integrity. We treat users and each other honestly, fairly, and with respect.
- Responsibility. We are held accountable for our work and our company's results.
- Drive. We are unwavering in our pursuit of excellence.