Engineering Manager 
Toast is a rapidly growing startup building the first all-in-one restaurant management software platform. Toast’s Android tablet based system helps restaurants operate more efficiently and connect with their customer base in new and innovative ways. For example, our portable tablets allow waitstaff to enter orders directly to the kitchen, reducing guest wait time and allowing the restaurant to turn over tables faster. This is good for the guest experience and good for the restaurant! We’re growing fast and serve cafes, restaurants, bars and nightclubs in all 50 states. We move fast and thus have lots of opportunities for career growth. If you’re passionate about your work and want to be in a fun and growing industry, join us!
At Toast, Engineering Managers act as mentors and leaders that help teams deliver a high quality product and improve their ability to execute. This is a role that requires a balance of technical expertise with experience in management. Our managers provide a mixture of technical leadership, project management and process guidance, organizational transparency, and career development via coaching.
We believe in building teams that can function autonomously and collaborate effectively. We structure our teams to align product mission with code ownership. We work daily to build and maintain a safe, trusting culture. We aim to support our teams with the education, context, tools, and resources to enable them to execute fast and make decisions that best support our restaurants and their customers. We expect everyone to help provide transparency and drive alignment.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing about 10 engineers, split into 2 or 3 teams
- Understanding the career goals for each of your reports and facilitating growth towards those goals
- Ensuring that your teams understand their missions and helping align the individual goals of your reports with that mission
- Understanding the business and product roadmap, and working with PMs and the teams to plan proactively for the future, balancing quality, architecture and new features
- Working closely with team leads and members to help them effectively manage projects and learn to function autonomously
- Ensuring increasing technical quality, by activities such as reviewing code, educating engineers, providing candid feedback, or facilitating conversations with QA/UX/PM
- Collaborating with team leads to continuously improve the ability of their teams to execute
- Creating a collaborative and inclusive environment where engineers continuously improve their skills and the codebase
- Participating in recruiting for the organization
- Articulating the accomplishments and needs of your teams to the broader engineering leadership
You have some or all of the following qualities:
- Experience leading teams that have built, delivered, and monitored software in a SaaS business
- A history of mentoring and growing direct reports
- A bias towards action
- Curiosity about different software engineering methodologies and project management processes
- A strong sense of empathy, both for the customer and for the people you work with
- A desire to build a diverse team that wins together
If this sounds like something you want to be a part of and grow your career with, we want to talk to you!
Perks of being a Toaster
- Great opportunity to join a fast-growing company which affords its’ employees mobility and advancement.
- Work on technology that’s making an impact in the industry (and challenging problems to solve as a result!)
- A team of passionate and collaborative co-workers (bring all your friends! referral bonuses).
- A culture of continuous innovation (quarterly company-wide hackathons to help bring this to life).
- An open concept office, complete with beanbag-filled collaboration spaces and the equally necessary quiet spaces.
- Clubs & groups created by our employees, for our employees.
- Diverse events to engage with coworkers in a different setting (Field Day, yoga classes, harbor cruises, beer swaps, Texas Hold ‘Em tournament etc.)
- Location, location, location! In Landmark Center, right off the Green Line and a 5 minute walk from the Yawkey commuter rail stop (commuter benefits included).
The Usual Suspects
- Competitive salaries
- Stock options
- Medical, dental & vision benefits
- PTO (unlimited!)
- Flexible work hours
- Fully stocked kitchen (DIY seltzer, beer on tap, coffee/ lattes, cold brew iced coffee)