The Investment Director role is a critical part of our Manager Research team conducting subadviser due diligence for the MassMutual Funds. This role will work closely with our Asset Allocation, Product, Legal, Operations and Compliance teams as well as our Sales group and business colleagues around the firm.
MassMutual Funds is a $50B+ franchise with over 100 mutual funds and employs a multi-managed, subadvised investment strategy. We hire many of the top investment managers in the industry and create unique product and manager combinations including award winning funds and strategies not available on other platforms. Our manager-of managers approach offers a built-in layer of ongoing oversight as well as the decision power to add or remove managers with greater objectivity and less disruption for our investors.
The MassMutual Funds are advised by MML Investment Advisers, LLC and sponsored by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company – a mutual insurance company with a 160-year history of service excellence and financial strength and ratings among the highest for any company. MassMutual is one of the top 50 asset managers in the world with more than $400 billion in assets managed by its various asset management affiliates. MML Investment Advisers, LLC executes a disciplined, long-term growth strategy in keeping with MassMutual’s heritage as a mutually-owned entity.
Location: Boston, MA
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
An Investment Director is a member of the Manager Research team and maintains subadviser due diligence responsibility for six to 12 funds. This individual will report directly to the Head of Investments of MassMutual Funds and will have primary accountability for subadviser hire/fire decisions as well as profitability and compliance/operations functions. This position may cover US and non-US equity, fixed income and multi-asset strategies.
The individual will conduct quarterly investment reviews with portfolio managers (typically via phone) as well as annual onsite interviews (at managers’ office) to interpret quantitative and qualitative information as well as changing firm and investment team dynamics to develop a full mosaic of the manager. Detailed write-ups are required to memorialize research findings. He/she must be able to evaluate and clearly articulate investment strategies to other research professionals and serve as investment expert on strategies covered. The individual will also conduct prospective investment due diligence in order to maintain a “bench” of managers ready to invest.
The individual will regularly compile comprehensive investment manager evaluations and present recommendations to other investment professionals as well as a mutual fund Board. He/she will prepare insightful and opinionated communications in a timely manner regarding material manager events, implementation ideas, market developments, performance issues, etc. to peers and business partners. He/she will also deliver proactive ongoing support to internal/external business partners, including meeting with sales and financial advisors. He/she is also responsible for certain compliance and operational tasks.
Traveling (approximately 10-25%)
Strong analytical, problem solving, quantitative, speaking, writing, data analytics skills are essential. It is expected that this individual be a team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Background in investment manager research or investment product roles is strongly preferred. College degree required. CFA® designation is preferred.
- 8+ Years experience in investment management (such as manager due diligence, asset management, investment product, endowment/pension/family office/etc.); manager research experience a plus
- CFA charterholders or candidates preferred
- Significant knowledge of markets, fundamental valuation analysis, financial modeling, asset allocation, and market research
- Demonstrated analytical skills and project management
- Advanced Excel skills preferred
- Demonstrated ability to construct and defend well supported investment opinions based on insights drawn from interviews, intellectual curiosity, data analysis and peer group awareness. Additionally, the individual must have an ability to concisely deliver these insights both verbally and in professional written form with little required editing
- Strong quantitative skills and knowledge of investment-related statistics
- Organizational and time management skills in order to meet deadlines
- Series 7 license preferred