Technical Accounting Manager
Meet CarGurus—the #1 visited online car shopping website in the US. At CarGurus, we’re building the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace where it’s easy to find great deals from top-rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation and vehicle history.
The Manager of Technical Accounting will be responsible for managing CarGurus’ accounting policies, procedures, and positions on a range of accounting topics, including the implementation and compliance with new accounting standards. This role will have significant interaction with the business and members of the accounting and FP&A teams. The individual must demonstrate a strong ability to interpret and apply accounting principles. The individual also must be able to clearly communicate complex technical accounting matters to various audiences including those outside of finance.
- Manage and execute the implementation of new accounting standards
- Perform technical accounting research on mergers and acquisitions including purchase price allocations and goodwill impairment
- Maintain and update technical accounting positions memos and document new positions memos
- Update and maintain accounting policies
- Assist in drafting portions of Form 10-Q and 10-K disclosures
- Research SEC filings including reviewing disclosure checklist for Form 10-Q and 10-K
- Account for website development costs including evaluating projects for capitalization and monitoring for impairment
- Assist with the successful completion of the year-end audit and quarterly review
- Assist with monitoring compliance with Sarbanes Oxley controls and updating narratives
- Assist with statutory audit requirements and filings
- Provide accounting support for special ad-hoc projects as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- Approximately 4-7 years of experience in public accounting or mix of public accounting and public company work experience. CPA required
- Big 4 public accounting experience highly preferred
- Technology/SAAS experience highly preferred
- Ability to clearly and concisely document and effectively communicate complex accounting and reporting issues to finance and non-finance personnel (i.e. can communicate technical accounting matters in 'plain English')
- Excel at project management including ability to establish and consistently meet deadlines
- Motivated team player with the ability to work in a fast-paced, forward-moving environment
- Ability to learn and understand financial accounting systems/software: NetSuite, Zuora, and/or SalesForce software experience a plus
At the core of our company culture is a spirit of innovation, curiosity and collaboration. True to our start-up roots, we’re nimble, flexible and hardworking. We have a great respect for testing and learning and a healthy aversion to scheduling meetings to discuss meetings. Lunch is catered daily. Gym membership is free. Foosball and ping pong are played often. Now a publicly-traded company, we’re as committed as ever to cultivating the culture that got us here.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, the UK and Germany with other markets on the horizon. Our offices are located in Cambridge, MA, Detroit, MI and Dublin, Ireland. If you’d like to learn more, please visit our careers page.