Hardware Systems Engineer
Datto protects business data and provides secure connectivity for tens of thousands of the world’s fastest growing companies. Datto’s Total Data Protection solutions deliver uninterrupted access to business data on site, in transit and in the cloud. Thousands of IT service providers globally rely on Datto’s combination of pioneering technology and dedicated services to ensure businesses are always on, no matter what. Datto is headquartered in Norwalk, Connecticut and has offices in Monroe, Rochester, Boston, Portland, Toronto, London, Singapore, Sydney, Frankfurt, and Amsterdam. Learn more at www.datto.com.
Datto is seeking a Computer Hardware Engineer to join our growing team. Hardware Engineering at Datto involves designing unique hardware solutions to enable the best product experience for our customers. This includes everything from researching new hardware technologies, designing new systems, and building prototypes. If you have experience with designing and configuring hardware systems, Datto has a job for you!
- Identify, design and test computer hardware for new products.
- Modify and enhance product concepts to ensure product’s reliability and quality.
- Collaborate with test engineers to verify compatibility and performance of components and system.
- Assist with engineering documentation; schematics, models, 3D designs, assembly and test procedures, bill of materials etc.
- Collect, analyze and present statistical data regarding system and component performance.
- Collaborate with vendors for understanding new technologies and offerings.
- Analyze existing systems to identify flaws and inefficiencies.
- Make modifications to existing systems, by evaluating and suggesting new components, layouts and designs to increase efficiency.
- Design, develop, and modify electronic circuitry, subsystems, enclosures, or other hardware elements of products/systems.
- Develop and conduct functional and environmental (thermal, electromagnetic compatibility, etc.) verification and validation tests of new designs or modified existing designs to evaluate circuit and hardware performance against internal and external quality requirements.
- Maintain knowledge of latest computer industry trends and understanding of how to implement them in systems.
- BS Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering.
- At least five years of applicable professional hardware design experience.
- Ability to:
- Analyze complex computer hardware to determine the best way to improve it.
- Design new types of information technology or IOT devices.
- Use logic and reasoning to clarify goals, examine assumptions, and identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions to problems.
- Identify complex problems in computer hardware, develop and evaluate solutions, and figure out the best way to implement them.
- Engage with PC component manufacturers.
- Create and manage Hardware BOM’s.
- Communicate with our Build factory to ensure product production and assembly.
- Knowledge of:
- Computer system components
- HDD, SSD, PCIe, MSATA, SAS, NAND, consumer and server grade CPU/motherboards
- Multiple Phase AC power and DC power systems
- O-Scope, DMM, Spectrum analyzer, DAQ
- Understanding of RAID levels and/or understanding of data redundancy
- Experience with PHP, Python, C/C++, or bash a plus
Here at Datto our people are our greatest asset, which is why we offer a comprehensive and unique benefits package. Above and beyond the typical medical, dental and vision, we also offer a generous 401k plan with a significant employer match, unlimited paid time off, educational reimbursement, fitness reimbursement, and travel subsidies for commuters. We have a patent rewards program and various other fun perks and fringe benefits, including free lunch every Friday in all of our offices globally.