Simply Business is more than our name. It's how we approach small business insurance: Make it clear. Make it simple. Make it affordable. Founded in 2005 (with our first international office in Boston launched in 2016), Simply Business is an online business insurance brokerage that specializes in one thing: protecting the businesses that entrepreneurs have worked hard to build.
Through blending a combination of technology, data, and insurance knowledge - with 10 years of expertise in the UK in how to build great products for our customers - we are looking to simplify the insurance-buying process for all small businesses across the US.
Right now we’re at the start of that journey. We need people who are looking for a challenge and have the drive and ambition to challenge the boundaries in whatever exciting project they believe in. We believe that people work more productively and imaginatively when they are free from rigid hierarchy and structures and we’re creating a colorful and collaborative environment to help support you in meeting your ambitions.
If you’re smart, passionate about delivering brilliant customer experiences across an integrated online and offline user journey, and enjoy solving complex challenges then you should apply to join our team.
As the Vice President of People, you will own all People functions at Simply Business USA. In this role you will influence and develop People programs, organizational development, culture/values growth and employee development across the business. You will have the exciting opportunity to help shape the people, culture and business at Simply Business as we scale from 65 to hundreds of employees over the next few years. Reporting to the US CEO, you will also be a trusted business partner and functional expert to the US Management Team.
Additionally, you will coach and lead a team of talented People Partners, People Operations, Learning & Development and Talent Acquisition professionals to maximize their impact on the business, while achieving their full potential as HR professionals and people.
You will also be a member of the global People Leadership team and responsible for contributing to the global People strategic initiatives, OKRs and business priorities, while acting as the US subject matter expert.
As the Vice President of People, you will:
- Lead our Simply Business USA People strategy that enables growth and contributes to business goals
- Grow and assist in the development of high performing People programs across all core People functions to include; People Partners, Talent Acquisition, Learning & Development, and People Operations
- Be a strategic business partner, coach, thought-leader and functional expert to the Simply Business USA Management Team
- Be a member of the People Leadership team, which is made up of People Leaders globally, and contribute to the overall direction of the Simply Business People success
- Ensure that our global compensation and reward structure is strategic, market-based, fair and consistent across the business
- Partner with the US Management Team to support Diversity & Inclusion programs that further enable an inclusive and diverse work environment as we scale
- Be a champion of the Simply Business culture and ensure that our values are clearly communicated and apart of everyday life at Simply Business
What we are looking for:
- Demonstrated success of developing and executing forward-thinking People strategies that have enable company growth and enhanced company culture
- 10+ years of People, Human Resources, People Operations or other relevant experience, ideally in high growth and values led environments
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field; Master’s preferred; relevant HR certifications a plus
- Demonstrated success operating at a strategic level along with knowledge of all People related functions
- Someone who is an inspiring leader and that is passionate about the impact of people, yet business-minded and results oriented
- The ability to inspire, motivate and coach employees at all levels
- You have excellent communication and consulting skills, with demonstrated ability to build relationships with senior leaders and a complex set of stakeholders
- You have experience of working in agile/lean environments with distributed teams
- Passion and enthusiasm for making Simply Business the best place to work in Boston (this is what we can’t teach!)
- The ability to challenge us! We want people who can come in and shape the future of this business and not be afraid to raise questions and help us improve
What are the benefits?
Working in our Boston Office, you will have the chance to shape a business from the very beginning, and an opportunity to develop and learn new skills across various technology and business areas as you desire.
Plus there’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call "core benefits".
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• A salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day
• Group plan for medical, dental, and prescription drug coverage
• Short term disability, long term disability and life insurance coverage
• Participation in the Company’s bonus program
• Participation in 401(k) plan with a 3% employer match
• Commuter benefits to help cut down on commuting costs
• 25 days of vacation time plus 10 company holidays
• Flexible working hours and working from home
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose)and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. We trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching and lots, lots more
It’s a big claim but we genuinely believe the Simply Business culture is truly unique. You sort of have to come and spend time with us to appreciate it. So get that application in and we’ll take it from there!
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretch themselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customers time and effort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences
We want to meet you
As a company, we pride ourselves on inclusion in the workplace. We succeed as an organization because we are comprised of intelligent women and individuals from other underrepresented groups. We understand you don’t find that in a lot of companies, so we’re emphasizing it here should you feel any hesitation to apply for that reason.
The hiring process at Simply Business is focused on candidates who are enthusiastic about the role and company. So even if you don’t fit every qualification listed in one of our job postings, yet you feel you’d be a great fit, we’d love to meet you. With any luck we’ll be seeing you at an interview soon.