DraftKings is a leading sports entertainment brand that creates the most exciting digital sports competitions and experiences on the planet. Our goal is to transform the way fans experience sports. Our mission is to make sports better – and make better sports fans – by bringing them closer to the games they love.
As the Legal Intern, you will work with the in-house legal team to assist in all legal aspects of DraftKings.
DraftKings’ legal department is looking for support on a variety of Legal initiatives that would provide valuable experience to anyone with interest in a corporate and/or legal environment. The position provides an outstanding opportunity to work in an in-house legal department of a dynamic company. The role will be a part-time position (~15 hours per week during school), with flexibility on when the hours get completed.
The candidate will help address the novel and complex legal and business issues that confront a rapidly growing company, while obtaining first-class business and legal experience.
The Candidate will be responsible for tasks in several areas, including but not limited to, contract law, general corporate law, general litigation matters, and various administrative tasks.
What you will do:
- Draft, review and coordinate commercial team in transactional matters and contract drafting
- Work on all aspects of the litigation process from case inception through case closure including assisting with case management and research
- Advise internal business, marketing, and public relations teams on compliance with various legal regimes both specific to the daily fantasy sports and regulated gaming industries, and generally affecting all businesses, including, but not limited to, consumer protection and other marketing laws
- Assist internal and external corporate counsel with diligence, research, and negotiation of corporate transactions
- Research and analyze procedural and legal issues
- Investigate factual issues pertaining to claims and work closely with business units across the organization to properly defend and/or prosecute matters
- Respond promptly to requests for legal review from all departments
- Assist in other projects and tasks as directed by the legal team as needed.
What you will need to bring:
- JD Candidate currently in law school at an ABA-accredited institution and with excellent academic credentials
- Must be commercially minded and able to view legal issues in light of business priorities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent negotiation, contract drafting, and communication skills
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Ability to work under pressure with keen attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to act decisively; and able to provide quick, concise, and practice advice consistent with DraftKings’ business objectives
- Able to advise and where necessary problem-solve as pro-actively and commercially aggressive as possible
- Possess the ability to interact effectively with other attorneys and employees, senior executives, opposing counsel and outside client personnel
- Superior ability to analyze complex business and legal issues, exceptional judgment, outstanding interpersonal skills, a teamwork-oriented attitude, strong initiative, and proven ability to effectively juggle competing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate risk and to exercise sound legal judgment;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven track record of relationship and management skills
- Must be team-oriented and have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a solution-oriented approach to legal issues; and a sense of humor and positive can-do attitude
- Local Candidates only - Required
At DraftKings, we promote diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.