Software Engineering Co-op (Fall 2018)
One of Boston's fastest-growing consumer tech startups is looking for co-ops to help us scale our systems, launch new products, and help 10+ million members find new books they will love.
Millions of readers use BookBub every day to find great books, and our service helps thousands of leading publishers and authors drive sales and find new fans.
Our Co-op Program
You'll work with us full-time at our office in Kendall Square for about six months in the second half of 2018.
You'll join a small team of engineers where you'll work on real features used by our readers, authors, and publishers. You'll take on big challenges and collaborate across the company to ship complete, end-to-end solutions.
Engineering at BookBub
We believe that the way to solve big problems is to start small, ship often while getting rapid feedback from users, then measure the results and repeat. We make sure that we can continue to move quickly by deferring unnecessary complexity wherever possible, and automating as much of our work as we can.
During Your Co-op, You Will:
- Receive one-on-one mentorship and training from experienced engineers who are dedicated to helping you grow quickly
- Learn the tools we use, and deepen your understanding if you already know them: Rails, React.js, Clojure, Postgres, Redis, AWS, Docker, and more
- Engage in many deep technical discussions with friendly and talented engineers
- Ship code to production almost every day via our continuous deployment pipeline
- Use automated tests and monitoring to ensure code works as expected, and runs correctly in production
- Work on high-scale systems used by millions of people
- Complete your co-op with the skills and experience to be a professional software engineer at a top-tier tech company
What We're Looking For:
- You're ready to get first-hand software engineering knowledge working on real projects.
- You've had experience working in at least one general-purpose programming language. You'll pick up Ruby while working here but you don't need to know it already!
- You enjoy collaborating with a team on shared goals.
- You're an effective communicator, both in writing and in person.
- You're able to break complex problems into manageable pieces and efficiently assemble solutions.
BookBub strives to be an inclusive workplace and we value learning from different perspectives. We seek to foster an environment filled with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.