Software Engineering Co-op (Spring 2019)
Who we are
BookBub is one of the fastest-growing consumer tech startups in Boston — and we're profitable. Millions of readers use BookBub every day to discover great books, and our service helps thousands of leading publishers and authors drive sales and find new fans. We're constantly growing our team to launch new consumer-facing book discovery features, tools for authors and publishers, and other web and mobile products that address the digital transition of the publishing industry.
Our co-op program
You'll work with us full-time at our office in Kendall Square for about six months in the first half of 2019.
You'll join a small team of engineers where you'll work on real features used by our readers, authors, and publishers. You'll take on big challenges and collaborate across the company to ship complete, end-to-end solutions.
Our engineering philosophy
We organize into small cross-functional teams that are deeply focused on one product or initiative. Teams are empowered to make product and technology decisions and quickly build the best solutions for our readers, publishers and authors. We lean heavily on automation, good test coverage, and continuous deployment to ensure we’re constantly getting rapid feedback from our users, and follow the approach of starting small, shipping often, and deferring unnecessary complexity. We believe that we build better products when our teammates have a variety of perspectives and experiences, so we care a lot about creating a supportive and inclusive environment.
During your co-op, you will:
- Receive one-on-one mentorship and training from experienced engineers who are dedicated to helping you grow quickly
- Learn the tools we use, and deepen your understanding if you already know them: Rails, React.js, Clojure, Postgres, Redis, AWS, Docker, and more
- Engage in many deep technical discussions with friendly and talented engineers
- Ship code to production almost every day via our continuous deployment pipeline
- Use automated tests and monitoring to ensure code works as expected, and runs correctly in production
- Work on high-scale systems used by millions of people
- Complete your co-op with the skills and experience to be a professional software engineer at a top-tier tech company
What we're looking for:
- You're pursuing an undergraduate degree in computer science or a related field.
- You're ready to get first-hand software engineering knowledge working on real projects.
- You've had experience working in at least one general-purpose programming language. You'll pick up Ruby while working here but you don't need to know it already!
- You enjoy collaborating with a team on shared goals.
- You're an effective communicator, both in writing and in person.
- You're able to break complex problems into manageable pieces and efficiently assemble solutions.
BookBub strives to be an inclusive workplace and we value learning from different perspectives. We seek to foster an environment filled with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.