Corporate Counsel, Government
Smartsheet is seeking a talented Corporate Counsel – Government to join its collaborative legal team. We are looking for a highly capable and motivated individual with strong interpersonal skills to assist us in supporting our Federal, State, and Local government sales function and other related parts of the business. This position reports to the Director of Legal and is located at our office in Boston, MA.
- Work with the Federal, State, and Local government business teams to negotiate, draft, and review commercial agreements concerning subscription software, data processing, intellectual property use, and professional services.
- Support government contract compliance initiatives and develop policies and procedures for their implementation, including with respect to FedRAMP and GSA Schedule.
- Maintain a strong understanding of applicable government procurement regulations and agency supplements, specifically, FAR and DFARS.
- Own the continuous improvement of standard forms of agreement, alternate language playbooks, and internal resource documents pertaining to government sector.
- Provide strategic and practical legal advice to sales and other departments with customer-facing responsibilities.
- Collaborate with all members of the legal team across office locations, including attorney and non-attorney personnel.
- Deliver training and guidance to employees on legal issues, best practices, and company policies.
- Support general business operations and complete special projects as requested.
- 4-7 years of relevant legal experience with a minimum of 2 years spent in-house, preferably with a cloud software organization.
- Expertise in negotiating contracts with government entities and subcontractors and working directly with sales representatives.
- Ability to operate efficiently in a fast-paced environment that places a high premium on excellence, execution, and teamwork.
- Skilled at developing strong working relationships with other business units.
- Aptitude and disposition to uphold company’s business standards and risk tolerance and recommend practical solutions respecting such standards and tolerance.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, business judgment, and strategic thinking.
- Persistent attention to detail.
- JD from an accredited law school and an active member of a bar in the United States, preferably Massachusetts or Washington D.C.
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.