Part-time Makerspace & Events Team Member - Boston, MA
Do you enjoy details, juggling lots of moving pieces, interacting with diverse people, and creating exciting reasons for people to come together? If so, this could be a great opportunity for you!
CIC is looking for a Part-time Fab Lab & Events Team Member to help support the Fab and Events teams. Candidates must be able to begin at 3pm and end no later than 11pm, working 25 hours per week, Monday-Friday, with occasional weekend work about once every two months. The compensation is $17 per hour.
CIC’s mission is to improve the world by helping exceptional entrepreneurs innovate better and faster. We offer carefully curated working environments that combine private, secure offices alongside shared amenities in locations across Boston, Cambridge, Miami, Rotterdam, and St. Louis and are growing into other cities, within the US and abroad. We currently serve 1400+ startups, growth companies, and branches of larger organizations, representing for-profit, mission-driven, and non-profit sectors across a wide array of industries. We pride ourselves on displaying a high degree of care and accuracy in everything that we do, and we work to ensure that our clients thrive every day that they are in our space. We believe that our ability to support world-changing entrepreneurs is only as good as the people who make up our teams, and as such we are looking for people who are interested in contributing to--and improving--the way we work. We invite you to explore all our openings here and learn more about us here.
ABOUT CIC EVENTS
Events play a critical role in our community by providing entrepreneurs, innovators, and others with an outlet to collaborate and network with like-minded individuals. A variety of events occur at CIC, such as sector-specific collaborations, programming meetups, pitching exercises, startup workshops, and panel discussions. The types of events we support benefit entrepreneurs by giving them the tools, skills, and resources needed to flourish. Every month, CIC hosts about 70-100 events spread across our three Boston-area locations in Kendall Square and Boston. Read more about events at CIC through the blog found here.
ABOUT [email protected]
[email protected] is a digital fabrication cafe where people can connect, learn, and collaborate over a cup of coffee, a 3D printer, and more. Our resources include filament and resin 3D printers, laser cutters, an electronics workbench, vinyl cutting, large format printing and desktop CNC for circuit boards and engineering parts. We're not only a digital fabrication cafe, but a hub for the local design and maker community that connects to a global business network. We invite you to learn more about us here.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Overall, we like to employ service-minded people who are reliable, clever, and able to work independently. It’s not expected that you’ll know everything that we do on day one. What’s important is that you are a bright person, interested in what we’re doing, and willing to learn. More specifically, we are looking for someone who possesses the following characteristics:
• Personable and naturally enjoys helping others
• Detail-oriented and organized with solid time management skill
• Able to prioritize in the moment and think on your feet
• Proactive and good at anticipating needs
• Independent, trustworthy, and able to learn on the fly
• Has experience using makerspace, digital fabrication, and fablab equipment
This person will be working a flexible schedule that begins at 3:00pm and ends between 8:00 and 9:00pm, depending on events, Monday-Friday. Since you would be staffing events that occur after hours, you should expect that these hours may shift later 1-2 nights/per week (starting at 4:00-5:00pm and ending no later than 11:00pm) and there may be occasional weekend shifts (average may be one weekend day every two months).
As we have a weekly event on Wednesdays, this person would need to be available every Wednesday afternoon and evening.
Work with the CIC Events team and Fab team to execute operational details of events, including: promotion, registration, setup and breakdown of event spaces, and other event responsibilities as they come up.
Event space maintenance:
• Ensure equipment in the space is operational and manage the inventory of furniture and supplies in the event spaces.
Event space preparation:
• Manage the furniture arrangement and AV setup. AV includes projector, sound system with wireless microphones, and other custom requirements as they may arise.
• Rearrange event space furniture after each event; generally ensure that events run smoothly and that the events spaces are ready for the next group.
• Understand the standard set up for fabrication equipment and ensure it is in good shape for members to use after an event takes place.
Communication during an event:
• Greet event hosts and act as a representative of CIC and Fab at events.
• Communicate the philosophy of CIC and FabPitch CIC and Fab at events with attendance ranging from 10 to 200 people.
• Answer questions about the space, and explain the general parameters for having events at CIC and Fab.
• Coordinate with building management, security, and cleaning crews.
• Ability to lift and move up to 35 pounds and also push or pull heavy objects. Job requires walking, standing, sitting, bending, stooping, and reaching.
• Experience with managing logistics, ideally during events.
• Experience with audio/visual and fabrication equipment strongly preferred.
• Familiarity with distributing content over promotional platforms (Eventbrite, MailChimp, Squarespace, social media, etc)
ATTRACTIONS OF THE JOB
• Fun people in a dynamic space. We pride ourselves on finding driven and bright collaborators who are eager to lend their own unique skills to the team, as well as to our inspiring clientele. The number one reason CICers say they like working here is because of their colleagues!
• Personal growth. This is a great opportunity to learn and develop skills within the epicenter of the innovation community at a growing company
• Regular massages, access to a nursing room, secure bicycle parking, a game room, a gym, and shower rooms with towels
• Central location. CIC Boston is centrally located in downtown Boston and is within walking distance to the Blue, Green, Orange, and Red line.
Starting compensation is $17.00/hour plus 401k matching after the first year of employment (must be 21+) plus 12 holidays per year. Annual reviews with raises every year for those on track with strong performance.
CIC is committed to building teams that reflect the fabric of the cities we support. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, ancestry, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know.
Read Full Job Description