Customer Support Lead
Who we are
BookBub is one of the fastest-growing consumer tech startups in Boston (and we're profitable). Millions of readers use BookBub every day to find great books, and our service empowers thousands of leading publishers and authors to drive sales and find new fans. We’re expanding our team to address the challenges and opportunities of the publishing industry while continuing to help readers find books and authors they’ll love. Learn more about what to expect working at BookBub.
About the position
BookBub is dedicated to providing prompt, thoughtful support to our engaged community of book lovers from around the world. Insights from our interactions with readers help us to make BookBub an even greater place to discover books.
BookBub is seeking a customer support leader to manage and develop support at our organization. This person will lead and mentor a small team of support representatives, working to build a distinct consumer-facing support function at the company and helping develop support practices as we launch a new business line. The ideal candidate will have experience leading a support team, improving support processes and documentation, and collecting, sharing, and acting upon customer insights. The candidate should also have excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting abilities, and thrive on providing thoughtful, friendly, and effective one-on-one support.
This position is based out of our office in Cambridge, MA and is not remote.
In your first year, you likely would:
- Hire full-time support representatives to account for our growing support needs
- Become an expert on BookBub products and the member experience of browsing, purchasing, and reading via BookBub
- Manage and improve the team’s processes and workflows, optimizing our helpdesk software with automations and macros to increase efficiency and customer satisfaction
- Identify and advocate for improvements to BookBub products to elevate the experience of our readers
- Develop messaging and customer support responses for new products at BookBub, and collaborate with product and other teams to represent readers’ interests as we continue to develop and grow the service
- Detect trends in user issues and confusion, and escalate when necessary
- Collect and share reader sentiment, both via customer support interactions as well as active methods like email surveys and on-site pop-ups
- Clearly identify and reproduce bugs, and work cross-departmentally to prioritize and resolve any issues
- Provide helpful and timely responses to users over multiple channels (email, Twitter, Facebook)
An ideal candidate would have some combination of the following qualities:
- Has led and developed a support team
- Has provided support for a complicated and often-changing product or service
- Has supported and developed early- to mid- career support representatives
- Enjoys troubleshooting technical issues with software products on various platforms
- Has experience working with Zendesk or similar helpdesk platforms
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Loves problem-solving and working resourcefully to find creative solutions
- Has exceptional attention to detail
- Enthusiastic about providing a great user experience
BookBub offers competitive benefit options including medical, dental, vision, 401k, generous paid parental leave, and take-what-you-need paid time off.
Our interviewing philosophy
Our goal is to get to know you in a low-pressure, friendly environment — and to give you ample opportunity to learn more about us, too.
Our typical process includes these types of experiences:
- A resume screen and introductory phone/video chat
- A take-home exercise where you’ll have the opportunity to demonstrate your communication and problem-solving skills
- Additional conversations with your potential future team members, the hiring manager, and people operations
We personally review every application, and if we think there might be a fit, we’ll typically reach out via email within a couple weeks to start the conversation.
We will always do what we can to be flexible around your personal time commitments, deadlines, and general availability. We know that by joining our interview process, you’re trusting us with your time — so we’ll do our best to run a process for you that’s as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
Your interview experience
Our goal is to create an environment where you can interview at your best. If we can provide any assistance or accommodations during your time with us, please let us know at [email protected]. All requests are treated as privately as possible and have no impact on candidate eligibility.
BookBub strives to be an inclusive workplace and we value learning from different perspectives. We seek to foster an environment filled with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.