Manager of Customer Success, Support
Meet CarGurus—the #1 visited online car shopping website in the US. At CarGurus, we’re building the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace where it’s easy to find great deals from top-rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation and vehicle history.
CarGurus partners with car dealers to help more 35 million car shoppers each month have a great car shopping experience. Behind the scenes are some of the world’s best engineers, product managers, account managers, marketing, and support teams are hard at work making this all possible. The Customer Success team is focused on supporting dealers and making sure that both shoppers and dealers have their best possible experience using the CarGurus tools and their most rewarding car buying/selling interactions. The Manager of our Customer Success Support team leads a team that is passionate about making sure all the technology and processes needed to support those interactions happen reliably, efficiently, and effectively.
Key components of the the Manager, Customer Success Support role include:
- A passion for ensuring a great customer experience for both car dealers and car shoppers
- Thoughtful exploration of the technical challenges inherent in such a complex and expansive technical infrastructure – with a focus on
- Leadership skills that foster personal and professional growth of the individuals on the team
- Maintain a team dynamic where each person is proud of their work; receives great coaching and feedback; shares ownership of their growth trajectory; and feels respected, appreciated, and confident of the role they play in CarGurus success
- Proven track record of identifying opportunities where customer support can evolve from being reactive to proactively avoiding disruptions or challenging experiences
- Use analytical and problem solving skills to identify trends, possible solutions, and recommendations for significant, or emerging, support events – to deliver operational efficiencies and an improved customer experience
- Plan for growth of customer base, product offerings, and team development to ensure the support team is prepared and optimized for CarGuru’s continued success
- Confident leadership of team leads and multiple individual contributor role levels in a way that provides clear direction, accountability, and career opportunities for each member of the team
- Be collaborative and an excellent communicator within the Customer Success teams and the wider organizational teams, partners, and stakeholders
The Manager of Customer Success, Support will lead a team of 20+ people, including both individual contributors and team leads, who support our dealer partners. The team, and the complexity of work has grown steadily as CarGurus has grown and the leader of this team will enjoy the challenge of continuing to provide great support and team development in an ever-evolving landscape. As we look to the future, this leader should be working to help customers receive the best assistance possible (including self-service, phone, email, etc…); work closely with product and engineering teams to reduce friction in the customer experience; and develop a team that continues to fnd new challenges and success opportunities. The ideal candidate is a strong leader, people developer, analytical problem solver, and customer experience evangelist.
What You'll Do:
- Hire, manage and develop a high-performing team
- Manage through metrics for reporting business results and directing coaching/training efforts to ensure consistent and optimal customer experience and operational success.
- Manage team to success across a varety of SLAs related to cases handled, phone time/direct customer engagement, quality of work, customer feedback, and ability to prioritize most critical cases for internal stakeholders, dealers, and shopppers.
- Communicate effectively with customers, the team, and internal stakeholders to deliver our absolute best customer service and overall experience
- Motivate the support team to individually challenge themselves, grow their skills and, deliver great results.
- Track and analyse support data to identify trends, recommend process improvements, reward desired team and/or individual performance, and fully understand the impact of support team on the overall CG business
- Build a deep understanding of the CarGurus customer base: priorities, business drivers, buying behaviors, distress signals, etc.
- Work cross-functionally with other departments including sales, marketing, product and engineering to define customer needs, provide voice of the customer feedback, and help execute existing and new product solutions
- Set overall strategy for the team that optimizes for both great customer experience and CarGurus business objectives.
- Develop the structure, process, and metrics to meet current and future support needs for CarGurus customers.
Who You Are:
- BA/BS and/or Graduate degree; advanced degree a plus
- 5+ years management experience
- Proven track record of excellence in customer support/engagement roles both as an individual contributor and leader.
- Tremendous customer support ability to foster highly-satisfied dealer and partner relationships
- Over-achievement of results against goals both as team manager and individual contributor
- Outstanding people and culture manager: The support manager will be expected to empower and coach the team to over-perform, be adaptable, and be positioned to handle increasingly complex issues and higher volumes.
- Exceptional process-management ability to develop process and procedural improvements.
- Strong strategic thought leadership skills to create programs and processes that affect the entire sales and service group
- Strong communication skills up, down and across the organization to drive cross-functional partnership, and the ability to mentor and work with colleagues to produce process improvements
- Exceptional work ethic
- Highly analytical; Proficiency in normal business tolls (Salesforce, Excel, Powerpoint, etc…) any experience with additional role-specific tools is a plus
- SaaS and subscription-based solutions experience a plus
At the core of our company culture is a spirit of innovation, curiosity and collaboration. True to our start-up roots, we’re nimble, flexible and hardworking. We have a great respect for testing and learning and a healthy aversion to scheduling meetings to discuss meetings. Lunch is catered daily. Gym membership is free. Foosball and ping pong are played often. Now a publicly-traded company, we’re as committed as ever to cultivating the culture that got us here.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, the UK and Germany with other markets on the horizon. Our offices are located in Cambridge, MA, Detroit, MI and Dublin, Ireland. If you’d like to learn more, please visit our careers page.