Aurora is seeking an experienced storage professional to own, manage, and improve our growing storage infrastructure. This role will also be responsible for data and system backups. This role will gather stakeholder storage requirements, analyze storage infrastructure, forecast storage growth, and design, implement, and maintain storage solutions to meet those needs. This position is within the Enterprise Information Systems team and will participate in business and IT projects which allow Aurora to continue growing, inventing, and developing next generation autonomous systems. Storage needs are dominated by engineering data captured as part of Aurora’s research and development efforts. This role will act as an expert in the end-to-end storage life cycle from data creation, access, backups, to disposition.
Aurora has a distributed storage infrastructure to match our distributed locations. This infrastructure is comprised of a variety of solutions dominated by Dell/EMC hardware and Veritas backup software. Near term goals are to standardize and simplify storage and backup solutions to enable scaling up and/or out to meet growing business needs.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is able to collaborate with InfoSec, Engineering, Network, and Client Support teams to create secure holistic systems which champion best practices to ensure confidentiality, integrity, and availability.
- Can deftly analyze storage & backup infrastructures, identify & address deficiencies, statistically forecast future needs, and build & maintain highly available storage systems.
- Can effectively translate business requirements and strategies into forward thinking technical solutions.
- Has the knowledge and skills to architect, engineer, implement, troubleshoot, and support storage technologies and solutions using the latest industry best practices.
- Has extensive experience with backup strategies, implementation, and maintenance.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Participating cooperatively on a team of IT engineering specialists
- Providing storage system support to a broad, geographically dispersed environment and customer set
- Performing system design, risk assessments and management, hardware/software implementation and integration, systems administration and general infrastructure support
- Preparing and maintaining documentation for current and future systems projects
- Engineering, monitoring, maintaining, troubleshooting, and deploying storage infrastructure, including backup & disaster recovery
- Responsible for concept to installation storage engineering. Including: defining, documenting, and enforcing system standards, system configuration design & review, and performing system installation
- Maximizes storage performance by designing for current and future needs, monitoring and troubleshooting storage problems and outages; scheduling and performing upgrades
- Secures storage systems by establishing and enforcing policies; defining and monitoring access.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining professional networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Reporting storage operational status by gathering, prioritizing information; managing projects, to include maintaining dashboards, KPI’s, utilization, and health metrics.
- Demonstrated ability to rapidly self-learn new technologies and paradigms
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities in a busy operations environment and work towards strategic business goals
- Technical bachelor’s degree and/or 6+ years of related experience working in SAN/Storage/Backup/Disaster Recovery Administration. A technical degree is defined as any four year degree, or greater, in a mathematic, scientific or information technology field of study.
- Ability to write technical design and build documentation for all aspects of Storage and Backup infrastructure
- Scripting proficiency in both Windows and Linux environments
Hands-on experience with:
- Dell EqualLogic NAS Appliances
- Dell EMC DataDomain
- Dell EMC Isilon
- VMware vSphere and/or Hyper-V
- Backup Exec
Strong knowledge of:
- Deploying and supporting
- Business Continuity
- Disaster Recovery
- Storage networking
- Encryption at rest and in transit
- Extensive storage networking background is preferred
- Storage related certifications (Server+, Network+, MCSA, MCSE, VCP, etc.) are preferred
- Dell EMC VxRail
- ITAR, EAR
- High Performance Computing
- Expert knowledge of one or more requirements in the minimum requirements section
- Project Management Institute – Project Management Professional (PMP) certification considered a plus.
Physically lift / move up to 40 pounds at chest level.