Director of Sales and Business Development
Formetrix is looking for a motivated and capable individual interested in being part of an entrepreneurial team driving the adoption and integration of high-performance steel alloys for Additive Manufacturing or 3D Printing. While 3D printing has conceptually existed for several decades, the focus has primarily been on polymer materials and prototyping. Now with the advent of new machine and digital technologies, the adoption of 3D printed commercial metal components is increasing. Our business mission at Formetrix is to help accelerate this growth by designing and commercializing steel alloys specifically for 3D printing technologies that not only address market needs and process requirements, but also leverage the 3D printing process to yield superior properties and performance. This new business is built on more than ten years of alloy development knowledge and experience in groundbreaking proprietary steel alloy designs.
This is an opportunity for an experienced, high-performing sales professional to get in on the ground floor of a metal 3D printing startup poised to bring the digital manufacturing revolution to mainstream industries.
- Develop promising commercial customers and partners, creating and enabling profitable revenues. The primary focus is on the North American region but the candidate may also assist with multinational customers in Europe and Asia
- Accelerate the market adoption of the company’s existing and emerging metal alloy portfolio by providing business development, sales, and application support to industrial metal 3D printing customers in a variety of industrial markets
- Manage existing customer interactions and respond appropriately to all inbound customer leads, while actively researching and approaching potential customers that align with the goals of the organization
- Analyze and prioritize all customers and customer requests. Focusing efforts on higher potential accounts. Developing appropriate technical and commercial solutions and supporting the implementation of proposed solution with customers
- Align customer program requirements with the activities of the organization (R&D, QA, Marketing) as well as external (vendors) groups. Shares customer and market feedback with Company.
- Function as the main interface for joint development agreements and contracts with core customers, including developing and managing plans to meet objectives on time and budget
- Effectively and enthusiastically promotes the Formetrix value proposition to potential customers, the market, industry leaders, and stakeholders
- Identify and convert new and existing business opportunities by attending and participating trade fairs, conferences and workshops
- Prepare and present content at conferences and customer sites
- Leverage engineering skills to design new process workflows to support the company’s growth
- 5 - 10+ years of relevant experience in industrial business development and sales roles.
- Demonstrated successful business development and sales record in B2B markets for industrial materials. Must have the ability to “close” deals
- Very strong communications and interpersonal skills. Must have the ability to connect with industrial customers and to analyze and solve their industrial application problems
- A team player with the appetite to learn, develop, and grow in the digital manufacturing space
- Willingness to take the initiative and navigate challenging, high-impact projects
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate flexibility to thrive in a fast-paced collaborative work environment, all the while maintaining the highest ethical standards
- A BA or BS degree in Engineering, Material Science, or related technical discipline is required.
- Fluent in MS Office Suite and experienced with one or more CRM systems
- Willingness to travel (up to 50%) - primarily domestic, occasionally international
- Experience and contacts in 3D Printing/Additive Machining, tool steel, or tool & die industries are a plus
- Knowledge and experience with industrial metals (powders or wire) is desirable
- Prior experience in fast-growing start-up or early-stage companies strongly preferred
Familiarity with 3D Modeling software (e.g. AutoCAD, Magics, Solidworks, ProE, OptiStruct), PLM, ERP and Materials Management Systems (e.g. Granta Design)