Strategic Sales Engineer
Smartsheeters truly stand out. It is clear by their attitude and actions that they work for a company that is not only innovative and authentic, but filled with individuals who are supportive, driven and committed to being a part of Smartsheet’s success. Our leadership is comprised of executives with deep experience who are committed to maintaining an environment that promotes personal and professional growth as well as encouraging individuals to take an active role in the vision of the company.
Smartsheet is looking for a proven Sales Engineer who will provide technical leadership throughout the enterprise sales process. You will serve as a trusted solution and technical advisor during the sales process and provide expertise that ensures successful Smartsheet deployment and adoption. For the right candidate, this is a career-defining opportunity to join us at a critical moment and truly have a significant impact. A proven track record of technical leadership, outstanding customer-facing skills, as well as consultative solution sales SE experience is required. This high profile role is part of the Enterprise Sales team and is based at Smartsheet offices in Boston, MA.
Smartsheet is a high growth SaaS (Software as a Service) company with millions of users in 150 countries experiencing a substantial value from the use of the innovative Smartsheet platform. Company leadership is comprised of executives with deep experience and demonstrated success in the software industry.
Job responsibilities include:
- Partner with enterprise sales executives by owning the technical sales process in support of selling Smartsheet’s SaaS platform to large enterprises
- Provide advice and guidance as the Smartsheet subject matter expert to prospects, as well as current enterprise users
- Design and develop creative solutions to customer requirements using Smartsheet
- Represent Smartsheet’s technical capabilities to prospects; proactively support prospects in performing evaluations; ensure that prospects keep to their stated evaluation scope and timelines
- Travel to enterprise customer sites periodically, serving as a technical resource to sales staff, as well as engaging with customer IT professionals regarding integration and data questions
- Be a recognized Smartsheet technical expert and develop deep Smartsheet relevance (workflow definition, solution design, etc.) for key functional areas, such as Project Management, Sales, Marketing, Human Resources, etc.
- Serve as front-line expert for “best practice” and prospect technical issues, tracking these issues and ensuring prompt follow up and problem resolution
- Work closely with Marketing to develop repeatable solutions and Product Management as the customer advocate on product roadmap discussions and to provide input on new feature requests
- Provide support for preparing technical responses to prospect questions, FAQs, knowledge-base and case support entries; help define “best practices” for broad usage across large enterprises
- Deliver on, and exceed, all performance targets
- Early stage software, preferably SaaS, technical pre-sales (SE) experience in a new category
- 5-8 years’ experience as a Sales Engineer in the SaaS and/or enterprise software industry
- Passion for working with leading edge, web-based technologies and a desire to deeply understand and demonstrate Smartsheet’s functionality, use cases, as well as business and technical elements
- Substantial experience creating MS Excel-based solutions for collaboration/workflow/project management requirements in lines-of-business and/or IT
- Strong communication skills (written, verbal, presentation), with the ability to explain technical subjects to non-technical end user personnel in large enterprises
- Ability to quickly build credibility, as well as understand and resolve customer technical issues
- Strong competence participating in a complex, solution-based enterprise sales process
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high growth software company where change is a constant
- Willing to travel periodically based on customer and business need
- Google apps, Salesforce.com, MS Word/PowerPoint/Excel skills
- Bachelors (BA/BS) degree required